Coopers stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gingerbrews

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all, am new to this forum.
Just bottled a Coopers stout made with brew enhancer; and am now starting one to which I'm adding Dark Muscovado sugar for an experiment and to compare with the other.
Any ideas how it will turn out?

It's a common misconception that brew enhancer will make your beer ferment 'better'. The brew enhancer contains a proportion of malt extract which is actually less fermentable than sugar.

Dark Muscovado is likely to be upwards of 95% fermentable giving you a thinner, drier beer; while the enhancer will leave more sugars unfermented giving more body and sweetness and potentially slightly less alcohol.

I made this kit with 500g dark muscovado (and with 500g dark DME + 500g lactose). It has been bottled now for 2 months.
The muscovado sugar has definitely imparted a taste to the stout. I would describe it as quite a pronounced treacle flavour.
I'm hoping this will lessen with time (I don't like treacle!). It's quite drinkable now.
I couldn't drink more than 2 in one session, there's just too much going on, flavour wise.

I have just put this on last night in the FV as follows

Coopers original stout + Coopers yeast
500g Extra dark DME
350g Golden Syrup
220g of Dextrose sugar
3 shots of extra crème espresso
and topped up to 15litres in the fv

Starting SG reading was 1064, should be a nice little experiment :shock:

So took a sg reading last night as the stout has been in the FV for 6 days and the SG reading is now sat at 1014 from original SG of 1064.

Smells great but didn't taste test it as put trial jar contents back in as I short brewed it to 15L so want make sure I get as many bottles out of this as I can.

after 7 days I'm down to 1006. But still bubbling slowly. Moved to 2nd FV as need to free up some space. Took a taste and it's not as strongly flavoured as I'd expected, just a bit caramel/treacle tasting. Hope will improve with age

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17817

Many ideas on variants of this kit at the above link.

This is a great kit. Survives almost anything added. I love it.

If you make a drab tasting brew, add a bit of stout to it. Pimps it up :hat:

Add some cheap supermarket cider to a Coopers stout - great drink :drink:

Have doubled it up with a Wiko Velvet Stout and that is as good as simple (can opener and chuck in a bucket) kit brewing gets IMO.

Quick update re the Muscovado stout: since bottling it's spent a week in a warm spare bedroom and then out in the shed. It as dark as night but looks pretty "clear". Tasting tomorrow night. Will post outcome

Tried mine the other night after 2 weeks in warm conditioning, oh my oh my oh my what a pint. Mine was short brewed to 15L and used Golden syrup, Coffee shots & Extra dark DME.

Oh yeah batch primed with muscavado sugar and a little golden syrup.

Its a belter! about 7% a bottle!

Ok tried the "tweaked" Stout.
Must say that it tastes ok but a bit lacking in body and head retention not great. I had a bottle of the Stout made with brew enhancer and it is, I must admit, better with good head & body.
Still drinkable and it will be drunk!!

I'm doing a Coopers stout as my 4th brew. Someone on here said they used the tin of coopers and one can from a two can kit so I thought Id try it. I ferment in my garage with a heat belt and when I put it in (without the belt) at about 20 degrees nothing happened for a day so I put the belt on and BOOM. Next time I went in there the water in the air lock had been blown out and there was beer all over the work top. OG was 1048 and after 4 days down to 1014. Still going at 6 days but slowed.

Not sure what FG to expect and I may bottle or pressure keg, any suggestions??????

Latest posts

Back