How long to leave in fv?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt78

Reaction score
Hi still new to to home brewing. I started off a kit cider 9 days ago and its down a gravity of 1006
I was wondering how long i can leave a brew in the fermenting bucket before bottling as I really wanted to bottle next friday (day 17). If left in the bucket too long am i going to start to pick up some off flavours? Should i be aiming at bottling as soon as i get 2 days of the same readings on the hydrometer?
thanks for any thoughts folks.

I am only a beginner myself, but leaving a brew in a FV for a couple of extra days than planned has caused my brews no harm at all. In fact, a few extra days has helped the overall taste & appearance experience of all my brews:

:cheers:

2 ways they claim.

Once the gravity is steady for 4 days straight with no change.

Or

Min of two weeks, it's thought that even with a steady reading that there could still be action in the bucket ect. I'd give it 2-3 weeks.

Thanks for the thoughts folks. Going to leave it for a week and see how the gravity is then. I thought all would be fine just didnt want to risk picking up any off flavour, but am going to assume that it will only get better! I did taste the trail jar today and its tasting good already.

Matt, no need to worry. Ciders are often more forgiving than beer, and I have never had a problem leaving beers in primary for up to three months.

I generally leave a cider on the yeast for a couple months and then to secondary for a few more.

The only reason not to would be to attempt to stop fermentation at a certain level of sweetness. This is of course entirely dependent upon ingredients and conditions.

Good luck, and don't worry!

Matt

Matt, no need to worry. Ciders are often more forgiving than beer, and I have never had a problem leaving beers in primary for up to three months.

I generally leave a cider on the yeast for a couple months and then to secondary for a few more.

The only reason not to would be to attempt to stop fermentation at a certain level of sweetness. This is of course entirely dependent upon ingredients and conditions.

Good luck, and don't worry!

Matt

Thanks for the reassurance Matt. I had it in my head that once fermentation had slowed right down the rush was on to get bottling.

I have brewed a pear cider from kit and that turned out bloody brilliant so i have high hopes for this one!
this is only my 3rd brew in total, my first being a ale so all comments and thoughts are greatly appreciated!
think im going to bottle friday. Many thanks

I leVe my brews for 3 weeks in the FV.

Then rack off to a clean vessel for 2 weeks.

Then bottle or pressure barrel.

Scaff

Back