That grapefruit tang!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timfletch68

Reaction score
Hello all,

could anyone recommend to a relative new BIAB brewer a hop variety to impart that grapefruit tang you sometimes get on your palate with a number of commercial IPA's.

I was thinking of Citra at 90 minutes followed by Stryian Goldings at 40 and Bodicea at 10 for the aroma.May also dry hop with Bodicea in week 2 of fermentation.

Many thanks.

Hello all,

could anyone recommend to a relative new BIAB brewer a hop variety to impart that grapefruit tang you sometimes get on your palate with a number of commercial IPA's.

I was thinking of Citra at 90 minutes followed by Stryian Goldings at 40 and Bodicea at 10 for the aroma.May also dry hop with Bodicea in week 2 of fermentation.

Many thanks.

The last kit I made was really really grapefruity!!! it was the Youngs AAA.. I will check the hops out for that as that will certainly fit the bill
edit:
According to the recipe its pacific Jade, summit and cluster

Hop that Helps

Don't be putting Citra in at 90, you want to use Citra late in the boil and as a dry hop. It's wasted as a bittering hop, there are better bittering hops but Citra is a fantastic flavour/aroma hop.

Also, goldings and Boadicea are not the grapefruit type, they are typical English floral hops.

For grapefruit you want American hops like Chinook and Cascade.

dry hopping with cascade, and by this I mean really going to town with the dry hops the way the amercians do with their APA will produce a grapefruit flavour

its very popular with the dogfishhead brewery beers

Thanks for the help with my ongoing recipe. Lesson's have been learnt.

Whilst I am here, would a pure crushed pale malt mash give me a straw coloured brew? Something on par with hop back summer lightning.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back