Hard lime

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scaff

Regular.
Reaction score
Don't ask why?

I had some limes (found in the fruit bowl) at home, a bag that was purchased for the kids cookery and only 1 used, so I thought? Hard lime ........... Y not.

11 limes
6 lemons
100gms honey
1 kg sugar (I know, but I can't be arsed measuring or leaving half a bag that gets spilled)
Cup of black tea
Yeast nutrient
Yeast

Cut, juice, smash, beat, murder the lines. I found these a lot harder than lemons or oranges to juice, so I just obliterated them with a big knife and a masher. Simmer for 20mins.
Add sugar to 1 pint of water, simmer add honey simmer some more
Let everything cool.
Add the cooled liquids to the demijohn
Top up with cooled boiled water
Add cup o tea
Add yeast nutrient
Add yeast.

Left to ferment out. Went from 1095 to 990 in about 4 days, but was still bubblin away. So I left it 2 weeks to finish up.
Racked off to a clean dj and left to clear, it was a bit of an odd colour, more like mr spocks urine sample than lime juice.

Bottled with a spoon of sugar and left in my alcohol store (a cupboard furthest from the door)

Tried one and its a bit of an acquired taste,,,,,,,,,,,, like turps,,,,,,, with a petrol chaser

It's strong, very strong, you wouldn't drink more than 6 or 8 in an evening.

Scaff

In all honesty I've not had the hard lemo or hard lime go balistic on me, so I've filled to the shoulder.

The hard orange on the other hand looked like expanding foam after 48hrs.

Scaff

No worries

Try some canderelle in it when you bottle it, it's as bitter as a witches fart.

Scaff

Tried one

Not as bitter as I thought, add some lemonade and its a nice drink, bit sharpe but nice

Scaff

Back