Old Speckled Hen

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmh7117

alejunky
Reaction score
One of my first attempts at Extract Ale, with hop additions!
This is a clone I found on the internet. Supposed to be AG but I used extract...

I used 1.8kg of Potters Malt Extract
500g Mild DME
400g Lyles Golden
Hops
Nothern Brewer 40g at 60min
East Kent Goldings 20g at 15min
East Kent Goldings 15g at 5min
Yeast
Danstar Nottingham Ale Yeast.

OG 1042- was expecting 1050.

Boiled Malt extract and dme for an hour in 8 liters of water adding the hops. I used a hop tea method. Transferred to an FV and increased the length to 20 liters.
Made a yeast starter and pitched at 20c.
The FV is bulging!!

During the boil and hop additions this smelled amazing! I hope its a good un!

I just did a hen clone (although I did swap out the yeast as I couldn't get the one I was after)

I used 2.5kg dme

500 grams crystal

Mine used Challenger and EK Goldings hops

Hope your brew goes well.

Covrich.

What was your Starting Gravity on that?
And what was the recommended yeast?
Also was there a hop schedule?

Covrich.

What was your Starting Gravity on that?
And what was the recommended yeast?
Also was there a hop schedule?

My starting Gravity was 1051 and finished 1008 I used US05 which probably if you want a cloen for OSH is not going to be the right finish.. I just picked a neutral yeast as I wanted something to work to as a basis rather than clone..

I think the recipe called for Danstar Nottingham yeast which I now hear Gervin G12 is the same?

I have just purchased the ingredients to brew the all grain clone recipe for this from Graham Wheeler's book. Hoping to get it going soon. This will be my first all grain brew.

Moved this to another FV to rest under an airlock.
1006 gravity, had a little taste... I think this one is going to be a winner! Not too hoppy, nice malty flavor coming through.

Batch primed with a surgar syrup consisting of 1 cup of water and 5 tablespoons granulated sugar.
Which is now in my new Kingkeg pressure barrel with top tap!:party:

Back