to early to barrel?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrispurvis

Reaction score
Hi guys.
i put a st peters ipa on 10 days ago. Og was 1047.
But for the last 3 days it wont budge under 1018.
ive given it a little stir and it may have dropped by 1 gravity point.(Not sure really. My eyes arnt what they were)
Could i stick it in my barrel now?
Or should i wait a couple or 3 more days?
Would it harm to barrel now?

Thx in antecipation
chris

Thx. Big beefy im thinking i will. Ive got a king keg full of pilsner to see me through.

However for peace of mind and future brews. What would be the effect of barrelling to early?
Ive got a pressure release valve so not worryied about splitting the lid.
Would it just mean a weaker abv Anyone?

I leave my beers for 3 weeks in the FV. Then rack to a clean FV fir 2 weeks. Then bottle or barrel after that

Scaff

im no expert but if you barrel too early then weak beer and it wont taste as good

most beers taste better after they have been sat around for a bit mine i leave in fv for about 3 weeks then in pb for a further 3 weeks

Putting it in a barrel is really no different to moving it to a secondary FV, it'll carry on fermenting if it can. The danger is it producing too much gas, hence not bottling before you're absolutely sure it's finished.

What barrel do you have? If it's a bottom tap one I'd be wary, as if it is still going it could force beer out the tap seal, but if it's a top-tap barrel then I wouldn't be concerned. Although at 1018 it sounds a bit stuck, I'd move it somewhere warm for a few more days.

Putting it in a barrel is really no different to moving it to a secondary FV, it'll carry on fermenting if it can. The danger is it producing too much gas, hence not bottling before you're absolutely sure it's finished.

What barrel do you have? If it's a bottom tap one I'd be wary, as if it is still going it could force beer out the tap seal, but if it's a top-tap barrel then I wouldn't be concerned. Although at 1018 it sounds a bit stuck, I'd move it somewhere warm for a few more days.

+1 with darrellm's secondary comment. If your pb's pressure release valve's working then if your brew increases to over 10psi (ish) it'll just vent off. You can always release some pressure if you're unsure.

Thx every1. Im going to put it into the barrel.
I would leave it longer but the mrs is creating. Wants it gone from her dinning table.
Thx again ppl

Latest posts

Back