How do open this up???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KBrew

Reaction score
Just been given this barrel to start off my first brew. I have no idea how I could go about opening this up to give it a good scrub.

It looks like the barrel could be split in two but not sure.
Have any of you got any idea how this barrel could be opened? If at all?

Also if anyone's got any knowledge to impart about the barrel that might be nice also!

Thanks.

DSC_0057.jpg

If you cannot open it get a 5 litre spring water bottle and drill a 9mm hole in the lid for an airlock.

These i found in google images and someone has put grommets in the top, if you don't have them it doesn't matter as they will still work.

dscf3005.jpg

Recognise the colours... Fuzzy duck Brewery I think? They don't split, the sectioned look is just the outer panels, the inner is one piece. Pry the shieve and keystone out and go at it with a pressure washer I'd say. Then sanitize. (alternatively if you're friendly with a local Brewery you could ask them if they'd whack it through their barrel cleaning machine. Though if you're not sure where it came from it's very likely they'd question as to why you have a stolen barrel. Breweries tend to stick together on stuff like that, as the things are bloody expensive)

Hi Kbrew. That cask belongs to Arbor ales. Can you pm me to ensure its safe return? The alternative is prosecution for theft. Kegwatch are constantly monitoring forums like this.

Contact me via pm please

If you cannot open it get a 5 litre spring water bottle and drill a 9mm hole in the lid for an airlock.

These i found in google images and someone has put grommets in the top, if you don't have them it doesn't matter as they will still work.

Incidentally, a forum moderator, giving advice on how to use a stolen cask does not reflect well on this forum. Tut tut tut.

Incidentally, a forum moderator, giving advice on how to use a stolen cask does not reflect well on this forum. Tut tut tut.

hi can you firstly prove that its a stolen cask ?? before you make accusations

and secondly the posts and opinions of the members and indeed the moderators are all independent to the forum itself

im damn sure that if chip shop tea boy knew for a FACT that it was stolen then im sure he wouldnt of made the comment he did

but please do not let my comments sway your judgment in any way as facts mean nothing

All a little uncalled for Trunky, maybe advice rather than threats and accusations are the order of the day here.

A] I am a moderator not a member of barrel search UK! :roll:

B] Try reading my post again (slowly), i said "if you cannot open it" how is that giving advice on how to open it. :roll:

im damn sure that if chip shop tea boy knew for a FACT that it was stolen then im sure he wouldn't of made the comment he did

If i knew it was stolen i would have removed the thread and contacted KBrew, if i thought KBrew knew it was stolen he would have been banned, as i don't have any proof he did that wont be happening any time soon.

but please do not let my comments sway your judgement in any way as facts mean nothing

Well said Beefy. :hat:

It is safest to assume all brewery casks without paperwork to say otherwise are stolen from the brewery. They represent a fair old investment on behalf of the brewery who rely on their safe return so they can be refilled and get back out to the pub trade to satisfy all those thirsty beer drinkers :)

This is a good point to remember.

Also Kegwatch clearly are monitoring forums like this and that is how the brewery were alerted to this particular missing cask.

Anyway, all sorted now and the cask will be returned.

It is safest to assume all brewery casks without paperwork to say otherwise are stolen from the brewery..

You seem to assume the general public would recognise it as a stolen cask, if i saw that at a car boot sale i would not a have a clue it came from a brewery or was stolen, you would only know that if you knew exactly what it was and i guess like me most of us wouldn't.

You seem to assume the general public would recognise it as a stolen cask, if i saw that at a car boot sale i would not a have a clue it came from a brewery or was stolen, you would only know that if you knew exactly what it was and i guess like me most of us wouldn't.

It is simple to understand, really it is, all kegs and casks belong to breweries, no ifs, not buts. The brewery name and colour scheme are clearly visible on the OP's pic. Therefore if you see one without paperwork to support it's official sale from the brewery (an official bill of sale/invoice/receipt) it is stolen.

Just to re-iterate, if you see a cask or keg somewhere where it would not normally be, then it is stolen unless there is solid evidence to support it's legal purchase.

HTH

It would appear we are going round in circles, you know it is a stolen keg because you recognise it as such, having a name on the side and a colour scheme would not indicate this to 99.9% of the population as many things have a names on the side (FV's for example)

If it said something like "this keg is not for resale and is the property of ****** brewery" there could be no argument but i assume it doesn't, if theft from breweries is as rife as you make it out to be maybe they should address this.

originally posted by Chippy_Tea
B] Try reading my post again (slowly), i said "if you cannot open it" how is that giving advice on how to open it.

I take it you are not going to apologise for your earlier accusation even though i explained i had not given advice on how to open it. :roll:

It is simple to understand, really it is, all kegs and casks belong to breweries, no ifs, not buts. The brewery name and colour scheme are clearly visible on the OP's pic. Therefore if you see one without paperwork to support it's official sale from the brewery (an official bill of sale/invoice/receipt) it is stolen.

Just to re-iterate, if you see a cask or keg somewhere where it would not normally be, then it is stolen unless there is solid evidence to support it's legal purchase.

HTH

Hey Trunky (apt?)

These guys, along with many others, sell new kegs to... wait for it... the general public!

http://www.kegtopia.co.uk/

Should I be reporting them to the FBI or MI5? Or Miss Marple perhaps...?

We don't presume anything. Unless reported stolen, which it has been, we don't take action.

In this case the best option is no option. Hopefully the rightful owners can contact the OP.

HTH

That's not true at all. I don't know who told you that but they were mistaken. Breweries and Soda manufacturers sell their old equipment to homebrewers and shops.

This thread is closed as I was contacted by the original owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back