grrrr pressure barrel issues again

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazza1shot

Reaction score
Well got my mersey Dockers ipa into the barrel last Tuesday and the same barrel that leaked on me from the tap seal last time gave way again, lost about ten pints same as last time so I thought I can live with ten pints less of bad cat, however after leaving barrel in a builders trug whilst me and the missus enjoyed a weekend away came home to another ten pints missing after tightening the tap before leaving, well I was gutted goes without saying so tightened the tap again, went down for tea and just before bed yup you guessed it checked and tap had given way again. I am now left with roughly 20 pints out of a 40 pint kit, keg is now lay on its side what should I do in future ?

In other news whilst in York I got some mazing beers from a fantastic shop and have managed to tick three off room a 50 best ipa's list I found on the net.

In fact just finished a nevada torpedo ipa ad it was amazing.

Hi, if you like barrels I would get a King Keg top tap. Having one of these means the worst that can happen is you gradually lose pressure and not your brew as the tap is generally at or just above the full brew level. I've found them very good.
Out of interest, I'm from York .. which homebrew shop did you visit ?

Cheers

I have just received another two kegs, way to go really, if at worst you have a leak it will just be pressure and not beer loss !

web_keg2.jpg

`Cheap' pressure barrels - well I'm calling them cheap, but at round about £25 they're not really cheap - they are so badly designed. Any homebrewer could come up with a design costing virtually no more to manufacture that would work so much better than these things. My 2 Youngs barrels are ghastly affairs prone to leak from the tap itself, the tap/barrel rubber seal, and the rubber seal in the cap. In other words anywhere that a leak can occur does in fact leak. I was in Wilcos yesterday and had a look at one of theirs. It was almost exactly the same as the Youngs barrel. Took the cap off. On my barrels the top isn't exactly round and where it bulges a bit it barely makes contact with the rubber seal. The Wilcos barrel was exactly the same. Contact was so close to the edge of the rubber ring that it couldn't possibly hold pressure.

You need a pimped pressure barrel like this :-)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTzcZDp_oTc[/ame]

Latest posts

Back