Airlock

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been reading up on various books about brewing techniques, also reading threads on the Home brew forum.

A lot of home brewers seem to use airlocks on their fermenting vessels, I have read some German commercial breweries use open vats to ferment their beer. Also C.J.J Berry recommends covering your FV with a tea towel!!

I have not used an airlock on the initial fermenting phase, but when I transfer the beer to rest I put it under an airlock so as to get an indication that the yeast has finished.

What is the benefit of putting your brew under an airlock?

I believe an airlock serves a number of purposes:

i) Allows the build up of carbon dioxide to escape, thus stopping the FV from exploding

ii) Stops oxygen from the air getting back in, which would a) oxidise the beer and b) allow the yeast to respire aerobically, which would mean they're turning the sugars into carbon dioxide and water, but no ethanol. We want the yeast to respire anaerobically (without oxygen) so that they produce ethanol and carbon dioxide.

iii) Stops microorganisms getting into the beer, preventing infection.

iv) Acts as a crude method of judging yeast activity and when the fermentation is complete.

Personally, I use an airlock. There is nothing to lose.

I've had mixed success with air locks, mostly not working/bubbling as they seem to need a very tight seal to perform. I think the idea of FVs exploding is optimistic as I have 3 with snap top lids and I've never had more than a slight bulge in them.
As with a lot of home brewing I think it's a case of what ever works for the individual. :cheers:
Rob.

My air lock never bubbles , the lid concaves and the gas obviously escapes.. I think I might not bother with one next time and just put the bung in the grommet hole.. one less thing to worry about

I'd rather use one than not. My first three brews it carried on bubbling right to the last and was a good indicator of when fermentation was pretty much done, though I still relied on hydro readings, and gave it three weeks in fv.
However for my last two brews it's stopped bubbling at about 1018, a week or so in. This was partly why I as convinced I had a stuck brew. As that wasn't the case I'm assuming the lid just isn't as airtight now as it was when it was new, so the reduced pressure stops it bubbling after a while, or if I've lifted the lid to take a reading and let all the co2 out.
Still prefer to have it tho. The bubbling is a reassuring thing and I love smelling what comes out (of the airlock that is)

If you don't want your beer to get contaminated bij wild yeasts and turn sour you should always use an airlock. Unless you want to brew the Belgian geuze which is brewed in open copper vessels in during the cold season.

I've never used an airlock I always thought it just have you an indication that your brew was fermenting with the bubbling all the time

I do use an airlock, they work on one of my FV's but not on the other. Personally I just like to watch the bubbles, its hypnotic and very soothing. :P I would love one of those big 25 litre glass demijohns so i could watch the beer ferment.

apart from protection from nasties i like the airlock so i can keep an eye on how things are going

i know once it slows right down i need to start taking notice of the brew

no way am i using cling film with 2 dogs in the house
including one alcoholic one that has to have a bit of every drink i have

I do use an airlock, they work on one of my FV's but not on the other. Personally I just like to watch the bubbles, its hypnotic and very soothing. :P I would love one of those big 25 litre glass demijohns so i could watch the beer ferment.

I know what you mean. It would be like a lava lamp, might even get away with it in the living room, living art :razz:

11038402_10152634401966262_5418515119205104598_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back