Wilko Light Delicate Pilsner

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robro123

Reaction score
Hi All,

First post on the forum so have to start saying thanks everyone for all the great info here!!
This is my first brew in 5 years, and only managed a few back then so still a beginner and the forum was really helpful already so I'm adding some details and photos in case anyone has more advice or comments

Wilko Light Delicate Pilsner 1 can kit plus 1kg Wilko Brewing Sugar
OG: 1040
FG: 1008

3 weeks in FV at 20 C
Dispensed into 2 Mini Kegs and about 25 bottles

4 weeks after bottling it tastes much better than my previous attempts
Will try to leave some to condition the full term, but it's drinkable now

I just discovered LCD temperature strips in time for this brew, makes it so easy and just £1, and I use a fish tank heater inside my FV (£7 amazon/ebay etc) to prevent drops in temp which works great. In case it starts getting too hot, I reduce temp in the room, so the FV cools slowly and let the fish tank heater do it's thing.

For the yeast, I just sprinkle on top of the bubbles and then seal the lid. I saw this on a youtube video and seems to work but I read that people activate the yeast for a while before adding, and some stir in properly... would appreciate some advice here please?

The day before bottling I move the FV onto a chair on a table and leave to settle for a day.

I used to sanitise bottles in the bath, which took ages and really put me off. Now I use a bottle tree and squirter with Starsan no rinse sanitiser plus I put half the beer into Mini Kegs. Cost quite a bit to buy all of that but well worth it for the time saving

To stick labels on bottles I use milk, this is a great tip. just spray onto backs using old perfume bottle. They stick well to glass but wash off easily. for the mini kegs i use tape... milk doesn't work at all

My FV with fish tank heater but no airlock.jpg

Adding the yeast.jpg

Ready for siphon.jpg

Labels stuck on with Milk, use old perfume bottle to spray .jpg

1 mini keg saves cleaning 10 bottles.jpg

"For the yeast, I just sprinkle on top of the bubbles and then seal the lid. I saw this on a youtube video and seems to work but I read that people activate the yeast for a while before adding, and some stir in properly... would appreciate some advice here please?"

For most homebrewing purposes, sprinkling the yeast is fine. Adding a more active yeast is more valuable to a commercial brewery, where time really is money. Stirring the yeast in is more about interfering than helping, I think. Does not stop me doing it, though.

I'm a fan of the Wilko Delicate Pilsner, a really nice drinkable brew. Makes a bloody awful shandy tho.

Be a bit careful with the thermometer strings, they're not particularly accurate.

Thanks guys, good to know

I'll give the yeast a stir in future, and will test the stri p s to make sure they're reading correctly

I agree about the thermometer strips as I found they are always at least a couple degrees out room temperature is usually around 20c in my house which is perfect for brewing I've never had any problems with off flavours etc

Latest posts

Back