Electrim 75 heater

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budgie

Regular.
Reaction score
Evening all,
I'm new to home brewing and to this forum so please forgive me if I'm asking a daft question!

I just bought a Coopers starter kit and I can't wait to get a brew on. The ambient temp in my house is in the cool side so I've also bought an Electrim 75 immersion heater. So, a couple of questions: I have the Coopers FV with the Krausen collar (so no hole for a bung). I read somewhere that it's ok to feed the heater cable under the lid so long as nothing falls through the gap and the heater doesn't touch the FV. Is it ok for it not to be air tight? Or, would it be better to drill a hole for the bung and insert it that way? If I do it this way would the extra weight on the lid prevent gas escaping or cause any problems?

I hope that makes sense and I haven't made myself sound like too much of an idiot!

The question makes perfect sense.

The electrim has the cable passing through the bung which also has a hole for an airlock.

I'd drill the lid like big beefy says and put an airlock in the bung so there is no danger of anything nasty getting into your brew.

Thanks for the info :)

I've gone for a drilled hole and airlock. I've done my brew about 2 hours ago and there are lost of big while lumps in it? Does this mean I haven't dissolved the sugar enough?

I hope I haven't ruined it already!!

the yeast will get the sugar even if its not all disolved yet, why do you need the heater are you fermenting in an outhouse or shed? i hope you checked it heating water first, the temps on the dials of such heaters are a guess at best. you may have set it to 16-18C but may find it heating to 25C, i would pull it and only consider using if the temperature of the b rew drops below the minimum temp of the comfort range published in the kit instructions for the yeast used. fermenting at the higher end of the range can encourage strong flavours developing.

Thanks for the reply Fil.

The ambient temp in the room is only about 16 and drops quite a bit through the night so I was worried about not being warm enough to let the yeast work.

The temp range on the beer kit said 21-27 and the heater is keeping it at a steady 24 so far. Fingers crossed it'll stay like that. I'll keep a close eye on it though!

Like I said, this is my first brew so its a learning curve, and the help I'm getting on here is great!

if you can then adjust it down for next time to 21 as the yeasts will produce of their own heat once they start working

Latest posts

Back