Lager kit suggestion please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crystal_Ball

Reaction score
Our utility room has a room temperature of 9-10C at this time of year. Am I correct that this is an ideal temperature to ferment a lager?
If so could someone suggest a kit that comes with a lager yeast of should I just choose a lager kit and swap the ale yeast for a lager yeast?

Yip. Coopers European. Cheap and with dme is a good real lager. Just done a batch at 12c and from what I remember that's ideal.

Hi,

I've pasted below a pimped Wilco Delicate Pilsner I brewed in Nov. I barreled it to clear then I bottled 3 weeks ago to store and lager for a few more weeks.
The drink I had from the barrel were superb - really pleased with the colour, body and taste with the Saaz dry hop addition. I've now bottled to get some more carbonation and be able to pop some in the fridge once the weather gets better.

Anyway, here's the paste of what I did from a previous post - well recommended :drink:

can of Wilko Delicate Pilsner
- 500g light spraymalt
- 500g brewing sugar
- 250g dark spraymalt
- SafLager 34/70 (I threw away the wilco yeast that came with the can)
- 50g Saaz hop pellets added after 10 days and left in the primary FV for another 10 days

It stayed in the FV in the garage for 3 weeks fermenting away at the ideal temp of around 12-14°C for SafLager. I then kegged it with 100g of brewing sugar.
It looked pretty good when I kegged it - a nice light colour, I think it will be a good one. It started at 1045 and before kegging it was down to about 1005. I gave it a week in the warm to carbonate and since then it's been in the garage nice and cold.
I'll sample some in a couple of weeks as a I work away.

I've just bought a couple of Brupak's beers of the world Czech Pilsner and they come with a proper bottom fermenting lager yeast. They are a bit pricy at c.£15 for a 10ltr kit so you need two of them to make a reasonable quantity, unless you try a small brew if it's more of an experiment.

Hi,

I've pasted below a pimped Wilco Delicate Pilsner I brewed in Nov. I barreled it to clear then I bottled 3 weeks ago to store and lager for a few more weeks.
The drink I had from the barrel were superb - really pleased with the colour, body and taste with the Saaz dry hop addition. I've now bottled to get some more carbonation and be able to pop some in the fridge once the weather gets better.

Anyway, here's the paste of what I did from a previous post - well recommended :drink:

can of Wilko Delicate Pilsner
- 500g light spraymalt
- 500g brewing sugar
- 250g dark spraymalt
- SafLager 34/70 (I threw away the wilco yeast that came with the can)
- 50g Saaz hop pellets added after 10 days and left in the primary FV for another 10 days

It stayed in the FV in the garage for 3 weeks fermenting away at the ideal temp of around 12-14°C for SafLager. I then kegged it with 100g of brewing sugar.
It looked pretty good when I kegged it - a nice light colour, I think it will be a good one. It started at 1045 and before kegging it was down to about 1005. I gave it a week in the warm to carbonate and since then it's been in the garage nice and cold.
I'll sample some in a couple of weeks as a I work away.

Thanks for suggestions guys.
I'm going to try this one as it just involves a trip to wilko when next up the town instead of paying for P&P for a coopers kit and bits to go with.

I have 60g of mosaic open as I used some with a coopers pale ale. Also 100g unopened East Kent goldings.

Thanks for suggestions guys.
I'm going to try this one as it just involves a trip to wilko when next up the town instead of paying for P&P for a coopers kit and bits to go with.

I have 60g of mosaic open as I used some with a coopers pale ale. Also 100g unopened East Kent goldings.
Wilko don't sell lager yeast as far as I'm aware so you'll probably need to source that elsewhere unless you already have it.

Back