I.P.A. (number 3) - BIAB

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheshirehomebrew

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all, thought I would post the recipe of my latest brew, imaginatively titled IPA number 3, as its the 3rd version I have made.

I know where I went wrong with this so I can refine it for next time, however it smells amazing when I bottled it last night (god I hate bottling beers its a right old faff !

Am typing how I wrote it as I recorded all the details as I did them.

1Kg Marris Otter
500 gms Crystal malt
100 gms Acid malt

Grains pitched at 84.2 degrees, temp dropped to 72.3 after pitching and maintained for 90 mins (3 Gallons water)

Grains removed and allowed to drain, bag opened and sparged with 1 kettle hot water.

Wort brought up to a rolling boil

1 sachet amylese added
1.5kgs of light liquid malt extract
60 mins 50 gms Bramling Cross added (6.7% Alpha)
30 mins 25 gms " " "
15 mins 30 gms " " "

At 15 mins 1 teaspoon irish moss
Flame out

1Kg of beer enhancer in the FV
Waited 15 mins then using a very large sieve I placed a fine mesh bag over it and strained some of the wort into the FV, allowing for enough liquid to fully desolve the enhancer, mixing with a steralised whisk (making it quite frothy as it was aerated.

Strain rest of the wort through the seive, pressing the hops down to extract all the liquid. Sparge with a kettle of hot water and press down again.

Topped up with 2 gallons ice cold water to bring the temp down but had to wait 24 hours for the right temp before pitching yeast

Yeast pitched at 23.7 degrees (1 sachet Gervin G12), half of the dry was pitched into the FV, the other half was used in a sugar solution then added when starting to foam.

5 days later racked off into secondary FV as fermentation had stopped

Dry hopped with handfull (as forgot to weigh them) Amarillo hops (and there wasnt a lot of them anyway) + 10 gms Bramling Cross & 10 gms Target for 5 days.

Removed and replaced with 15 gms of Bramling cross for further 5 days (which ended last night)

This produced 40 bottles of a darker than intended IPA (due to overdoing the crystal malt) but the smell is amazing.

All bottles primed with 1/2 to 3/4 of a teaspoon of white sugar and leaving in the house for 5 days to secondary ferment, then cold crashing to clear

These will be left a minimum of 40 days before trying them, I would prefer 50 if I am honest.

Please feel free to ask questions or comment on the structure or methodology I used.

ha I knew someone would ask that, honest answer is i forgot to take readings so have no idea on the OG SG or IBU's on this brew and I dont have beersmith downloaded to use as a calculator either

I think your OG should have been around 1050-52. IBUs around 60, IPA territory.

The crystal is about 12% of the fermentables which is a bit high but not OTT.

I would start tasting after two weeks or so. Even if only one a week, to see how it changes over time. I reckon you should have a lovely IPA there.

Your mash temp was too high I think, most recipes stipulate a mash temp between 63 and 69C. Just for future reference.

Thanks Clibit yes the crystal was a little high but still ok for taste but its a little darker than I wanted.

Have read where the grain temp can be a little higher for IPA/APA and still extract the sugars, hence the amylese to change more starch to sugar.

Based on previous brews it could be in the 5 percent range, but with the addition of amylese perhaps higher!

Hi Clibit I have read that before but am sure I have something else around here too that used a higher temp.

I will know in a couple weeks as I will do as you suggested and open one to see what its like at an early stage.

Well I opened a bottle yesterday (on Clibits advice of course) just to check taste flavour balance etc and was surprised at how nice it was after only a week or so in the bottle, nice n carbonated good balance great hoppy taste and a rounded bitter afternote as well

Now I will be chomping at the bit to start drinking it but I will wait another 30 days or so - bummer !

Back