Hydrometer reading and correct useage

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roscoe9

Reaction score
Quick question, I read on here (somewhere) that to take out the gas of your trial jar by pouring it between two glasses 15-20 times. I now take this as gospel and do it every time I take a reading.

The one time I didn't do this it read 10 points more than after. So I'm I right to be doing this or will it give me an incorrect reading?

I have never read that you need to degas the trial jar contents to get an accurate reading, I certainly never have.
I have however read you should spin the hydrometer to get rid of any bubbles that may be sticking to it and I always do that.

I have never read that you need to degas the trial jag contents to get an accurate reading, I certainly never have.
I have however read you should spin the hydrometer to get rid of any bubbles that may be sticking to it and I always do that.

I do the spin as well.

I take my samples from the tap into a narrow trial jar (coopers kit). Doing this produces a sizable head and bubbling effect, which in turn pushes the hydrometer up! Once I "de-gas" it, the sample is more flat and the reading is more of what I expect to be seeing.

:wha:

I just leave till any head goes and drop it on. Spin it and see what it says. Leave about 30 seconds or so test it. Thenore important a cheeky taste test( neck sample ).

Boring scientist that I am I make sure I drop it in and spin at least 3 times to get an average. Then I neck it!! :D

Latest posts

Back