Beginners Advice Please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonesy

Reaction score
Evening all, been having a look on the forum this evening and the site looks great, tried to pick the best category to pitch my questions and I hope its this one!
I am completely new to brewing, it is something I have considered for a while and Saturday decided why not, I bought a basic American IPA kit as a tester from my local home brew shop, which I tried before hand and I really enjoyed. I did everything to the letter including full sterilisation, I made sure everywhere was sanitised, and mixed its as per the instructions.

Question 1: The instructions state to add the hops after four days into the bucket, however I have been told it may have been better to add them at the start, which practice would be better?

Question 2: A friend who does a little home brewing says don't add them until the foam has subsided as they'll only sit on the top now, so if I wait for the foam to subsided and add them, how long then before I should transfer my barrel?

Thank you for taking time to read and hope someone can advise.

You want the beer to be in the FV for two weeks, or more if the final gravity isn't reached in two weeks. The dry hops are best put in 3 - 5 days before you transfer to the barrel, I think, this is what most people do. People vary, but this is good practice and works. Welcome to the madness.

Thank you for the reply, I have another question, once the hops are in and it has reached the required gravity, is there a rule of thumb as to how much priming sugar to add? I have a 40 pint kit going at present and plan to put it into a vacuum barrel rather than bottling.

Thank you for the advice. There are so many things to pick up on your first brew!

Another question, After six days in the FV the very creamy head seems to be dropping back slightly but not too much, it's maybe dropped from 3 inches to an inch in thickness. Does this seem ok?

The temperature is a constant 20 degrees, the lid is on but not fully sealed

Back