Hello from Bury

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonnal

Brewster
Reaction score
Evening all. This is my first post about my first batch. My other half has bought me a starter kit full of brewing equipment and I have cleaned and sterilised everything and started a batch of St Peters Ruby Red Ale. ( having decided that the Evil dog that I have also received may need a little more experience)! :cheers:Looking forward to drinking the spoils in about 6 weeks. :cheers:

Evening all. This is my first post about my first batch. My other half has bought me a starter kit full of brewing equipment and I have cleaned and sterilised everything and started a batch of St Peters Ruby Red Ale. ( having decided that the Evil dog that I have also received may need a little more experience)! :cheers:Looking forward to drinking the spoils in about 6 weeks. :cheers:

here's to a successful brew for you :drink:

It's a very addictive pastime! - I'm only on my 3rd brew atm and it's already one of my top 10 favourite beers. Welcome to the madness! :razz:

Well, it's been a week and I have learnt that brewing requires the following 2 attributes:- a fanatical devotion to cleanliness and; zen-like patience. I am unfortunately blessed with neither and so have realised that this is going to be a labour of love. I hope the results reflect the effort. The ruby red ale has stopped bubbling and is steady at 1.013. Will wait a couple more days and then begin the task of bottling!

Once you have stocks of beer the waiting isn't a problem. And I've got used to the cleaning, got a system going and use Starsan, it's not a huge deal

Having tried my recent brew that I kegged and did 5 bottles. The bottled stuff doesn't have a head when poured. Tastes alright though. Just doesn't look as appealing as the keg stuff.

I got a pressure barrel with my kit but decided to bottle as I want to take it away on holiday in a few weeks for the rest of my family to try. I've also read a few posts on here about pressure barrels losing pressure. I was thinking of using mini kegs but they were too expensive compared to bottles. I may invest in a king keg at some point though. Star san at the ready for bottling this weekend. I'm hoping it's going to be easier to use than the stuff I've been using that needs to be rinsed off thoroughly. Thanks for all your comments. So far I've found reading this forum to be a massive help.:thumb:

Latest posts

Back