Brewday panic

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

568ml

Reaction score
Big morning planned - bottling a fresh draught and starting an IPA.

The bottling went well, three more than guesstimated, so a win.

The flow was going well, tunes on the HiFi, dog asleep on the sofa, better half at work - just me and the beer.

Nothing fancy a Coopers IPA kit with extra spray malt. Heated the tin just fine, got warm warter on the go, malt bags open.

When I started to mix the malt with the sugar and content of the tin, it all went Pete Tong. No, not one of his weekend mixes but the spray malt went solid.

Never had I have malt or flower while baking go so rock hard. So I was sure I had killed my brew. But after stirring constantly, in a panic, I think I got it diluted enough too add the yeast.

That put a bit of stress to the old ticker and the day. The OG is bang on target so there is hope. Let's see in two weeks time when I'm bottling it.

Hi 568ml

I also had this situation with my current tipple. I dont believe it will be a problem, the key being to stir until it dissolves.

Should be fine.

Lagerfeld, I think it was the shock of the spray hitting the hot stew/sirup. I was a bit too keen to get it done. I think I got it nicely mixed together, clocking away at a steady 20c, so right on target.

568ml, what I tend to do when adding beer enhancer to a boiling pan is to put a small amount into a plastic bowl and slide it into the pan and stir it in and the repeat the process until I empty the bag and then I rinse the bag. I found that as soon as the moisture in the steam hits the BE in the bag it clumps immediately.

Apparently mixing spray malt with cold water before adding it to the hit wort prevents lumps although I've never tried it myself.

A warm water mix is suggested on the Coopers site, combined with a vigorous shake.

I am not convinced by the need for all the fuss myself. It will all be converted by our microscopic freinds, if reasonable efforts are made to break it down. A bit of a poke with a plastic spoon, a bit of a stir before the yeast pitch and all will be well.

Anyone on here ever found a ball of malt extract in the bottom of a fermenter at bottling time, Or a trace of one at drinking time?

+1 sSlid Iv had a mini Ben Nevis on top of my wort a time or two when my stirring and sprinkling coordination is out of sync lol, and it's survived.
Rob.

Latest posts

Back