Not washing out the bin - and not using fresh yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingBob

Reaction score
I barrelled some cider 3 days ago and put the fermenting bin lid back on the empty bin - and forgot to clean it out.

Bought some new apple juice for the next brew to go on and got all ready to go, and realised I'd a) run out of yeast and b) not cleaned out the bin.

Out of total laziness I just stuck the ingredients into the barrel (after a quick sniff to ensure it didn't smell bad).

Within 6 hours it was fermenting away like mad - fastest startup of any brew I've done.

Assuming I've been lucky and nothing bad has got a foothold, will I get away with this?

How often do you think I could keep doing this - assuming I reduce the quantity of sludge each time - without developing a problem? It saves a quid or so each batch - and it's 50% about the saving after all.

Thank you!

:drunk:

there are ways to use the **** at the bottom with no risk and im sure someone will be along with a link telling you how to

personally i wouldnt do what you have but will look forward to hearing how it turns out

Assuming I've been lucky and nothing bad has got a foothold, will I get away with this?

:

If you are lucky it will be fine if not you haven't saved a pound but wasted a few, I sterilise everything that comes into contact with my wine and so far have not had a problem, the knowledge it's going to turn out fine because i have used fresh yeast is worth the expense. (we are talking a few pence per brew here)

When I make cider I reuse the yeast 3 or 4 times by washing it after each brew and leaving it to settle out in a jar in the fridge. If you use it too many times you will start to get off flavours and smells.

BrewingBob - I used to do this quite often when I needed a lot of beer quickly - make a kit, barrel it, pour the next kit straight on the yeast, barrel it, do it again.
Basically the second brew should be fine, but I always found the 3rd brew, though acceptable, was noticeably not as good as the first 2. With each brew you're magnifying any contamination, and of course, much depends on your sanitation process. I'm more than a bit sloppy with that, so personally I wouldn't do more than 2 brews this way.

Well, it's fermented almost right out now. A record time!

And it tastes fab!

Save yourselves time and money - and just chuck your next batch on top of the residue from the last!

:-D

Latest posts

Back