Hammer of Thor

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheazy_joe

Landlord.
Reaction score
New here so go easy folks! :lol:

Got my Hammer of Thor started on saturday afternoon, all seemed to go like clockwork. Noticed it bubbling away on Sunday morning so all good I hope.

Sitting at 18 degrees just now which is maybe a bit on the cool side?

Does anyone know if this comes with a lager or ale yeast?

Will post updates.

I never done it but I am sure I heard it is ale yeast.. judging by the temperature scales it sounds like ale yeast as lager yeast is normally suited to lower temps like 12ºc.

18 should still be fine.

Thanks Covrich, seems to be a common thing where you get an Ale yeast with a kit advertised as Lager.

Will keep an eye on activity and raise temperature if needed.

Looking forward to trying this one.

No real need to raise the temps early in the brewing process, you get much better results by raising it after the initial ferment. If you are fermenting at 18C, this could be a week + into the process before you want to raise it a bit.

In the UK "Lager" has pretty much always meant a rather drab pale ale. Scrubbed, polished, carbonated and over-marketed. Not even a reflection of the actual style.

Hammer of Thor could turn out to be quite a bit better than a branded lager and low-ish initial temps will be to your advantage in the long run.

Hi Slid thanks for advice, only my second brew so all welcome.

Agree with your thoughts on British lagers, tend to stick to imported European lagers my self.

Happy to play the long game with hammer of thor, hope it turns out as good as i'm expecting!

I done this brew about a year ago and although it was pretty good it wasn't what I'd call lager I was going to try again with a lager yeast over winter but didn't bother. Was pretty strong and went down well after a few months in the bottle

So the Thor has been going for 5 days now, quite happily at 18 degrees following an initial temp of about 22 degrees.

Gonna add the hop tea bag tonight, sure it comes with Saaz.

One thing I have noticed however, there doesn't seem to be any head (Krausen?) which I'm quite surprised with, is this something I should be worried about? Plenty of air lock activity.

No, that's normal. Same thing happened to mine. Dies down after 4-5 days. Left mine for 14 days before putting the hop tea in. So anytime will be fine. It's a good strong beer. Went down well with my friends anyway.

thanks bowman.

how long did you have it in primary for overall? I was thinking 14days total but if you put the hops in at 14 days i'm guessing you had it for longer? Or did you hop just before bottling?

I see you got the Coopers Pilsner conditioning, that's next on my list I think, that or the european lager. Get one done before the hot weather comes.

Hi had it in for the two weeks, smelt fine. By that time all the eggs smells had resinded and fermentation was going along nicely.
Pilsner is a bit thin with the standard recipe. I would add somebextra light malt extract and sugars for more body. But nice light summer beer.

Update on the Thor -

Added the hop 'tea' on saturday, seven days into the brew, and have to say it was smelling pretty good.

Now been going for nine days, not much airlock activity now but still pressure on the FV lid.

Will leave it and bottle next sunday.

Eleven days into the brew and its been pretty dormant since I added the hop tea on day seven. Bit of pressure on the lid but no bubbles through the airlock. Wondering if it has stalled, or finished? Will take a reading and see where it is at.

Regardless I won't have time to bottle until the weekend so it will get the full 14 days no matter what.

To a hydrometer reading tonight, was at 1010 after starting at 1051 so think it is just about ready for bottling.

Noticed there were loads of grainy bits, for want of a better description, in the beer. Could it be the hop tea bag has failed? Though that didn't appear to be the case. Or would it be yeasty bits that are still to drop?

Hope my beer isn't infected or anything!

Tasted the sample from the hydrometer glass, was tasting strong with a decent bitterness to it.

Anyway, will look again Saturday with a view to bottling, that will be it had the full 14 days.

Hi Wheazy Joe, Have you got your bottles at the ready? Are you using dextrose or are you using sugar drops from the brew shop?

Hi yeah have got a bunch of recovered commercial beer bottles plus bought some from brew shop, £4.50 for 12 500ml bottles, pretty good deal. Will be using coppers carbonation drops, got two bags left over.

Eventually got round to bottling this last night, after 18days in the FV.

Got 45 bottles, mostly 500ml but a few 330ml bottles in there.

Had a fly sip and it tasted good, and strong!

FG came in bang on the money at 1006, meaning 6% beer.

Have put the bottles back in the office where the FV was, sits at pretty much 20 degrees so will leave for a week and move to the garage.

Looking forward to trying this one.

I did tests at 1,2 and three weeks. Got better with time. Ages well got a couple left I keep for mates. 6 months on. You'll taste the difference. Now is time to taste and see what you think. Serve chilled it's mighty fine.

Bottles have now had seven days at room temperature, think I will move them to the garage tonight to start conditioning.

Will stick one in the fridge and give it a couple of days there, try it at the weekend see how it is coming along.

Back