Bulldog, Cobnar Wood Northern Brown

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlsenior

Reaction score
After a great success with the Bulldog Evil Dog double IPA I thought i'd give another Bulldog kit a try!
Although expensive I think you pay for what you get :thumb:
Started this one off today and got a Start Gravity of 1044 slightly less than the 1047 specified but that could be due to my hydrometer!
Pitched the yeast at 20 degrees and i'm keeping it at around the 24 degree mark with the help of a brew belt.
Hopefully it will ferment out in around two weeks then it will be into a Corny to condition.
I don't know whether i've overlooked it but I can't see another review for this kit, It would be great to know how it's turned out for other members :smile:

Quick update, really fast starter at 24 degrees it's bubbling away like mad in less than a day! a lot faster the the Evil Dog.

Transferred to a Corny yesterday, Final Gravity came out at 1012 so somewhere around 4%, really good taste quite bitter as the hop sachet was in a long time, I reckon at least a month to condition and this will be a really tasty brew :-D

Tasted a test bottle - this is one good beer, tastes something like Hobgoblin, really tasty with a good mouth feel and it's still young :cheers:

Thanks for the reveiw about to start this myself but am very new to this and this is the only thing i can find on this

Thanks for the reveiw about to start this myself but am very new to this and this is the only thing i can find on this

I was in the same boat, there are not many reviews of this kit, I did find a funny video review on YouTube (maybe he should of drunk it after shooting the video and not before) when are you starting yours? I have started mine today

Hopefully tomorrow needed to get hold of more fv to do it. Yeh i saw that video on YouTube as well he was pretty hammered lol🍺🍺🍺

How did you get on with this?

I've had this conditioning (bottles) for just shy of a month. Had a taste sample and it was undrinkable, all kinds going on with a sharp twang.

I've chucked the whole lot into my beer fridge to see if crash cooling has any effect.

Regards
Paul

How did you get on with this?

I've had this conditioning (bottles) for just shy of a month. Had a taste sample and it was undrinkable, all kinds going on with a sharp twang.

I've chucked the whole lot into my beer fridge to see if crash cooling has any effect.

Regards
Paul

I have had it in bottles (Coopers PET) for 14 days just tried it and it tastes good a bit like Hobgoblin, it is a little flat as it needs more time in the bottle. The OG was 1.051 and the FG was 1.014 and I kept it at 22C for 12 days then bottled it. This is only my second homebrew so I am not sure if I have done everything correctly, I guess only time will tell

Hobgoblin is my top beer atm so im quite interested in this. £30 is a bit pricey though.
Hopefully one of the mods will be along shortly with a recipe using grains :-)

Hobgoblin is my top beer atm so im quite interested in this. £30 is a bit pricey though.
Hopefully one of the mods will be along shortly with a recipe using grains :-)

I only paid £23.76 for mine, considering in the supermarkets you pay £5 for 3 bottles of Hobgoblin I think this is a bargain. £23.76 split by 40 bottles is 59p each.

I only paid £23.76 for mine, considering in the supermarkets you pay £5 for 3 bottles of Hobgoblin I think this is a bargain. £23.76 split by 40 bottles is 59p each.

I can't get it for that. Tesco £30 and online stores including delivery is about the same :-(

I paid £24.95 for the kit and was hoping for more of a Newcastle Brown style although Hobgoblin is not too dissimilar. This might be the kit that pushes me towards to AG brewing in the future!

Hopefully it will turn good in the end :)

Had a further sample of this over the weekend and it's still vile :(

Either I cocked up the during brew day or it was a dodgy batch, going to give 2 weeks to improve before the lot goes down the sink!

Regards
Paul

Second time lucky (ish) for me on this brew. First got stuck at 1.026 and didn't drop even after stirring it up a bit. Second batch got down to 1.020 and stayed there. From other conversations on here I think my problem may be I pitch at 24C and let the temperature drop rather than keeping it consistent.

I decided to bottle without priming sugar and subsequently read about people leaving there gravity samples to degas (which I didn't do) which I guess may drop my final gravity a couple of points. As a result of ditching the first batch I had two hop packets for dry hopping and did so the day before bottling and so you can certainly get the hop flavour!

I've had a couple of samples after two weeks conditioning and the beer is only slightly carbonated, but I think the carbonation will improve as I get towards the seven weeks mark. Flavour does have hints of Newcastle Brown Ale, so I guess it's not a bad batch! :-)

Back