Irishmoss

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowman159

Reaction score
Hi all forgot to add my Irish Moss to clear the beer on brew day. Can I add this after I do my dry hopping next week. It's a IPA from AG. Second attempt so still learning. Cheers.

Don't know about Irish moss post boil but you could add some gelatin as finings a couple of days before bottling.

just leave it alone and accept this batch wont be as clear as u would like and sup from opaque mugs to avoid thinking about it ;)

the kettle finnings need the heat of the boil afaik to do their thing.

Ha ha sounds about right. I'm going to dry hop this weekend so will be able to filter it slightly as I transfer. Cheers.

I used to add Irish moss to the boil but have not used it for a long while. I haven't noticed any difference. I've read that by precipitating too much protein, Irish moss may reduce the head retention properties of the beer...the same goes for fining agents. That's the last thing I want. OK for wine which doesn't need a head. Then again I have no problems getting bright clear wine as I leave the demijohns 1 -3 years before drinking, mainly due to always have such a backlog of wine in my pantry!
I don't have any particular problem with cloudy beer. I transfer the fully fermented beer to a 5 gallon keg and leave to rest for around a couple of weeks before bottling. Any cloudiness I get is more likely to be due to yeast from the secondary fermentation in the bottle, so I have to store the bottles for some weeks after priming, pour the beer carefully and leave the last half inch in the bottle. I used to have to leave the bottles much longer until I started adding a little dried baker's yeast(some grains on the tip of a teaspoon) as well a sugar at the priming stage. Priming is now much quicker and more reliable.

Latest posts

Back