Brewing Virgin; Advice on equipment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuff76

Reaction score
Hi everyone
Brewing my own beer...
This is one of those idea's that I've fancied for a long time, and is now coalescing into a reality.
I'm very meticulous (and I guess a bit OCD) about it all, and like to do as much research as I can rather than just jumping into the deep end.
I guess most people might start out with a kit, but rather than just buying something temporary I wondered if there was a better way for beginners who are in it for the long haul?
What I mean is, can I buy all of the same stuff from the kit but higher quality items - Stuff that will last, and still be useful in the future when I become more skilled and want to try new things.

I've got a few books I'm reading, and a half day course booked in May to show me the basics. I'm taking my time, and want to make sure I get it right.

So far the only equipment I have is 84 Amber swing tops that I paid a pretty penny for.

Any advice you can offer me for what equipment I need would be gratefully received.

I am planning to attempt the Youngs American IPA and a ginger beer as my first brews.

Cheers:cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
The kit clibit linked to doesn't include a pressure barrel - the one you linked to does.

You either bottle or pressure barrel - some people do a bit of both with some brews in barrels and some in bottles.

To get started for bottling you could buy the kit clibit linked to but you will need some bottle caps and a capper also. This is a decent metal capper with 100 bottle caps:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crown-Cap...089?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item51c49f7759

The plastic handled cappers are a bit flimsy - the metal one linked to above is much more durable and also less fussy about the shape of the beer bottle neck and should cap pretty much any bottles you use.

Hello gents
My replies on this thread didn't seem to show up (until now)
I ordered the kit clibit suggested and the youngs American IPA kit I've heard good things about and they arrived today.
Actually this wasn't first thing I bought, I invested in 84 amber swing top bottles which cost a fortune but they look very nice and I'm hoping they'll be a wise choice.
I haven't unpacked yet but I'm also thinking a bottle tree, some decent sterilising solution and maybe a bottling bucket and racking cane(I'm probably mixing Americanism's and British as I've learned much from the Internet). Some priming sugar? (does is matter what you use?)
Please tell me if anything I've got in mind is a waste of time or if I've missed anything else that I'll need on my first brew day
Cheers

I've also bought a stick on thermometer, a probe thermometer and a greenhouse thermometer to test the high and low temps in some rooms and the shed

If you are going down the bottling route I would agree that a bottle tree (with squirty thing on top), bottling bucket & contact sanitiser (star san) are excellent investments.

I spent years soaking & rinsing my bottles with the bleaches/powders. I finally invested in the above and cut my bottling time by 2/3s.

Bottling bucket (just don't use the supplied tap):
http://www.brewuk.co.uk/equipment/f...fermentation-vessel-fitted-with-drum-tap.html

Bottle tree:
http://www.brewuk.co.uk/equipment/bottling/bottling-aids/bottle-drainer-45-bottle-rotating-red.html

Squirty thingy:
http://www.brewuk.co.uk/equipment/bottling/bottling-aids/bottle-rinser.html

Your bottles will need the occasional scrub but if you keep them clean they will just need a few squirts of the contact sanitiser and they are ready fill!

You can use any sugar to prime, or malt extract or honey etc, but the amount you use can depend on what you use.

agree on the bottle tree, worthwhile investment. Less so on 'the squirty thingy'. I got one of these and tbh its not much use, ended up just sanitising my bottles in a bucket of no-rinse solution then straight onto tree.

Hi chaps

Thanks everyone for the tips, I finally got past the 'buy everything, read everything, absorb information' stage and took the plunge.

I ended up buying a second FV as the first one was drilled for a tap(which I didnt want to use, and bought a siphon)

I bought a bunch of other bits that even now I think will be a waste of time, but its always the way I see to do things and I guess the alternative is starting brew day and not having something I need.

Was really quite nervous about doing it right, and kept putting it off until Sunday when I could wait no longer.

Managed to get hold of some star san - Made up about 10 litres of it in the FV and immersed everything that I would be using. All that foam went against my instincts but I left it as recommended, I wasnt sure where to leave the stuff to drain and in the end I star san'd the entire (ceramic) draining board so that nothing touched a non sanitised surface. The lid was also tricky. I probably went way OTT with it but hopefully I've avoided contamination.

Youngs American IPA kit is now underway - Really impressed with the kit, it had everything I needed inside including priming sugar. I watched some youtube videos to see the process(reading is one thing, but I find watching gives more insight) although a lot of the videos on there are very poor quality.

Made everything up as instructed, it was really a lot simpler than I imagined and I was done in no time (minus the excessive sanitising time).

I had a slight accident when aerating the wort, splashed over(me) and lost a couple of hundred ml.

Yeast went in at 23 degrees and the lid on tight.

I struggled to take a test sample as it was quite foamy off the star san, might get a syringe or something for that purpose..

My OG was 1.055

Next morning its bubbling away through the airlock(which I left half full of star san solution) and I feel really quite excited!

Its still bubbling away 3 days later... Kind of want to start another one already!

imho 2 attributes help when it comes to brewing and it sounds like you have #1 already an almost verging on ocd aproach to cleanliness and hygiene :)

the second attribute that will do you well is patience kits are notorious for indicating you can sup the beer within X days of starting the brew, and given ideal conditions and luck in rare cases you may be able to.

rely on the gravity of the brew to tell you when its ready for the bottle, without a tap on the FV ( fwiw i luv my fv taps others h8 em..) drawing off a sample to check the gravity can be easily done using a sanitised turkey baster or huge syringe (Just dont blow air into the beer).. crack the lid and draw the sample from the side ;) never stand looking down over an open brew, all it takes is a single scratch of the head to drop all sorts of nasties in ;)

and never return a sample to the bulk, drink it for a taste test ;)

hope im not coming across all preachy but there are a few easy to make beginner errors its best to avoid making..

hope you enjoy the brewing and the beer, and you can build up your swing top bottle collection cheaper by encouraging friends to buy grolsh from the supermarkets when its 3 for a fiver or cheaper.. :hat:

Good stuff. Now sit back while your mind can think of nothing but making beer for the rest of your life!

Your idea of spraying the worktop with star San is great, having a sanitised surface to put stuff on caught me out a few times, I use the lid of the fv sprayed with star San now, or the lid of my plastic bottle crates when bottling.

Are you bottling or barreling?

I use a sanitised measuring jug as a place to stick things after they have also been sanitised. It can simultaneously hold thermometer, airlock, siphon, spoon, turkey baster etc. etc.

Turkey baster is good for getting samples for hydro tests. So is the solid tube bit of a siphon stuck to the end of a big syringe. You can get big plastic syringes from farming shops. They say 'single use' on them, obviously not made in Yorkshire :-P. The advantage of the syphon tube, syringe combo is it fits where the airlock goes so you don't need to take the lid off.

imho 2 attributes help when it comes to brewing and it sounds like you have #1 already an almost verging on ocd aproach to cleanliness and hygiene :)

the second attribute that will do you well is patience kits are notorious for indicating you can sup the beer within X days of starting the brew, and given ideal conditions and luck in rare cases you may be able to.
Hi Fil, yes I've always been a bit germ-phobic which should hopefully serve me well in this :)
Patience has never been my strong point but my over-riding concern here is doing it right and from what I've read I expect it to be in the FV for up to 3 weeks, then bottled and left for another 2 Months to condition
rely on the gravity of the brew to tell you when its ready for the bottle, without a tap on the FV ( fwiw i luv my fv taps others h8 em..) drawing off a sample to check the gravity can be easily done using a sanitised turkey baster or huge syringe (Just dont blow air into the beer).. crack the lid and draw the sample from the side ;) never stand looking down over an open brew, all it takes is a single scratch of the head to drop all sorts of nasties in ;)

and never return a sample to the bulk, drink it for a taste test ;)
Now that I've done this I can immediately see the benefits of the tap and wished I used the other FV - It's a learning process I guess, so I'll use that one next time. I understand that an SG reading is the only way to be sure but as I'm tapless I'm very wary about opening the lid. Is there any negative to leaving it brewing for that little bit longer? Once its stopped bubbling, leave it for a few days to make sure? Twostage's suggestion below about the syring with tube through the airlock hole is probably the best option I can see so so far
hope im not coming across all preachy but there are a few easy to make beginner errors its best to avoid making..
Fil, you really aren't and I'd much rather be told straight than dallying around while I make schoolboy errors :thumb:
hope you enjoy the brewing and the beer, and you can build up your swing top bottle collection cheaper by encouraging friends to buy grolsh from the supermarkets when its 3 for a fiver or cheaper.. :hat:
You know what, I think I might really like this - I like to know things and how to make things myself. The actual drinking is the cherry on top!
re the grolsch bottles, I'd heard that green glass isnt great for keeping it fresh? I reckon I spent as much on empty bottles as I would have on ones filled with Grolsch!

Good stuff. Now sit back while your mind can think of nothing but making beer for the rest of your life!

Your idea of spraying the worktop with star San is great, having a sanitised surface to put stuff on caught me out a few times, I use the lid of the fv sprayed with star San now, or the lid of my plastic bottle crates when bottling.

Are you bottling or barreling?
Hi Gareth, once I got over the foam I really like the starsan - The lid of the FV is a cool idea and I'll use that too.
I bought 84 x 500ml brown glass swingtop bottles which are beautiful, I just need to find suitable crates now (barreling doesnt appeal to me as I like a nice cold 'un) Cheers!

+1 for the bottling tree and squirter thing and starsan. I also used a "required rinse" steriliser and then washed with boiled water, took bloody ages, now its very quick.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003E45GQ2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

My tree is ready and waiting, I should probably have bought the smaller one but better too much than too little. The squirter is still boxed and I dont imagine I'll use it, might send back to them for a refund and will probably just submerge them all in starsan for a couple of minutes then onto the tree :thumb:

I use a sanitised measuring jug as a place to stick things after they have also been sanitised. It can simultaneously hold thermometer, airlock, siphon, spoon, turkey baster etc. etc.
This is what I ended up doing but might insist on buying my own dedicated measuring jug instead of the kitchen one
Turkey baster is good for getting samples for hydro tests. So is the solid tube bit of a siphon stuck to the end of a big syringe. You can get big plastic syringes from farming shops. They say 'single use' on them, obviously not made in Yorkshire :-P. The advantage of the syphon tube, syringe combo is it fits where the airlock goes so you don't need to take the lid off.
That is an absolutely inspired idea, brilliant, thanks! I had my eye on one of those and sticking it through the airlock hole should minimise any risk.

Thank you all, I will update again soon.

My next considerations are:

Dry hopping - it says 3-4 days before bottling, is there any benefit/negative to leaving them in there for longer?
I am hoping to get the clearest beer I can, would you advise using muslin bags for the hops? Should I starsan the muslin bag beforehand?

Bottling - I plan to use a bottling bucket so that I get an equal distribution of priming sugar... I have a siphon with sediment trap, but I've no idea how much sediment to expect and what is acceptable to transfer/chuck away. Does anyone use any extra filtration media on the sediment trap, like a muslin cloth to keep any particles from the end product?
I know that oxygenation should be avoided at this stage at all costs so I expect it could be a bit tricky, so siphon gently with zero splashing, is it worth putting the lid on the bottling bucket at this point? although it will just be full of air anyway.

I think I might want to get another brew on the go as soon as this is bottled, logic tells me that I should wait and see how the first lot turns out but I don't know if I'll have the self discipline and at the end of the day if it all went wrong I've only lost the cost of the kit.

Last edited by a moderator:
imho use the bottle squirter it will foam the starsan and you only need a lil bit, i apply mine via a trigger spray bottle sold for misting plants,

starsan mixed up with 5l of tesco ashbeck water should remain clear and last a good few brews if sprayed onto surfaces.. a lil booklet of indicator papers is a cheap way to check the ph of stored starsan is still viable (ph 2.5 or lower) going cloudy is only an indicator not a dead cert.

leaving hops in the fv longer than 5-7days can start to impart a grasy off flavour (DOH! moment as i realise ive left some in a we bit too long myself)

when siphoning out 3 hands are usefull so is a siphon clip to fasten the siphon to the bucket edge (clothes pegs never work quite right) and you can if vigilent keep the siphon suck end above the yeast lowering as you go, close to the end when the bucket is lighter gently tip forward and wedge a telephone book or 2 under the back edge to keep a deper pool to siphon from at the front, when u start to such the 'mud' up stop. you will loose some beer but thats that...

if you use the fv tap , when sampling for gravity checks remember to rinse the tap spout out with warm water in a squeezy bottle after drawing the sample and a squirt of starsan too ;)

to filter the beer you will need to invest in kegs (real not pressure barrels) a co2 supply to push the beer and 10" cartridge filters with 5 and 1 micron pollythene filters oh and its a total pita and a waste of time. gravity will drop all sediment out eventually..

a lil sediment in the end product is par for the course and just needs a lil practice to pour off i to a glass, - rinsing out the bottle as soon as you have poured stops yeast baking itself onto the dry bottle bottom its a real pita to clean off if that happens.. for bottling clear brite beer and retaining condition again real kegs and a counter pressure bottle filler is the kit needed...

using real kegs tho is a investment as you need temperature control and a regulated gas system and a method to balance off the keg pressure before your tap to get the best from such a system, it is a system and the kegs are only the storage aspect..

UV/direct sunlight will penetrate green and clear glass bottles more than brown/amber, i just dont leave my bottles in direct sunlight and avoid the issue ;) and it UV that can 'skunk' the hop additions and ruin a bottle.

:cheers:

if you want to invest anymore into brewing a brewfridge would be my recommendation a simple fridge with the addition of a small tube heater or similar controlled by an stc1000 or atc800+ which will let you set and maintain an ideal fermentation temperature, with one your primary fermentation will go like clockwork..

Re crates to store bottles in, I use these.
http://www.diy.com/departments/really-useful-64-l-plastic-storage-box/266363_BQ.prd

They are a bit pricey but you can fit exactly 45 (23L!) 500ml bottles in, and the crate is just tall enough to fit aspalls cider bottles in, which I have quite a few of. And they clamp shut, so you can store clean empties in them without fear of spiders nesting in them (my shed is full of them, I'm petrified every time i get a pint)

+1 on the 'really useful' storage box. They are not the cheapest make but they are strong. I was using one as a bath for 5 demi johns until recently.

I bought a cheaper version from a supermarket the other day and managed to crack one just getting it out of the pile :oops:. Strangely they were selling the same placky box in two parts of the store where the only difference was the colour of the lid and one was 50% more expensive than the other.

re: the measuring jug - yes, definitely get your own, and get glass if you can. They don't scratch so less chance of it hosting nasties.

Latest posts

Back