1st Beer Brew, looks like gravy!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Compact

Reaction score
Hi

I've started my first brew, using a Brupaks Yorkshire beer kit.

I followed the instructions, used a large clear plastic bin from a brewing kit with the lid loose to let gas escape.
The rook probably wasn't the right temp, wrapped it up, but a coldish house.
I left it for 2-3 weeks as went on holiday.

I've moved it into a barrel, using the tap on the bucket, left a good inch of beer in the bottom, along with lots of sludge.
At this point I check a pint of it, gravy. Also with sludge settling.
After 1 hour it didn't settle.

So what have I done wrong,
What can I do
Thanks

Beer Brewing (1).jpg

Beer Brewing (2).jpg

Beer Brewing (3).jpg

Beer Brewing (4).jpg

It's been nearly 3 weeks in the bucket, the last week a bit chilly. I've just transferred it to the barrel, the pint was taken during the process and was the lower part of the bucket, but not the last couple of inches

I don't keg but I think (and someone may correct me) it normally will clear from top to bottom as it all settles down..

Leave it a few days or another week or so It should clear up.

If you've taken a pint from the fermenting bucket it will have all sorts of bits floating in, it's just yeast. Nothing wrong at all.

Keep your barrel indoors for a few weeks, then chuck it in the coldest place you have; shed or garage, etc.

Now brace yourself: in my experience a barrelled kit beer will take at least four weeks outside (in addiiton to the two weeks in the warm) to clear, perhaps as long as six...it's a slow and painful wait. It'll probably be reasonably drinkable before it clears completely though.

If you have the equipment and time, extract brewing is really easy and clears way quicker. Bottles also clear much quicker, generally.

Did you move your fv then barrel straight away? Just a thought but you could have just stirred up the yeast. No biggie if this is the case as Covrich says it will clear up and not harm your beer any. I try to move my fv to its racking position a few days before bottling/barreling day to let everything resettle.

One word usually gets mentioned at this stage to new home brewers - PATIENCE!

Once you've kegged your fermented beer, you should be leaving it in the keg for a good month to let the remaining yeast ferment the priming sugar (you did put priming sugar in when kegging?) carbonate the beer and build up pressure. You also need this time to let the beer condition.

The yeast should settle below your tap, then you should have a good, clear, conditioned pint!

The best things come to those that wait!

Hi thanks for the replies.
So
1 yes I carried the bucket into the bathroom so possible shaking.
2 At this stage I've lots of patience and a cold cellar. Would you advise leaving in the cellar for a few weeks then either bottle or transfer to bucket and back to barrel to remove more yeast?
3 The instructions say half teaspoon of corn sugar per litre. I've not done it yet should I do now and should I stir?
Thanks

Just leave it somewhere cool to settle for a week or two, then add sugar to the barrel (dissolved in a little boiling water) and rack the beer into it. Leave the barrel to carbonate for two weeks in a warm place then back to the cool to condition. I don't use a barrel so hopefully someone who does can confirm the timings.

Hi Compact

Right now I'd add the sugar, it's best practice to boil it for 10 to 15 mins first with a little water - 250ml is my norm. That said you have made alcohol now so if your priming sugar is from an unopened sterilised packet I'd just chuck it in!! The yeasties will do their thing and munch it up to fart out CO2 to prime either way, so no real need to stir as you'll only stir up yeast again!

Leave it in the warm for a couple of weeks then put it somewhere cold and as said before be patient (harder done than said I know!). The yeast will settle out eventually and beer is extremely resilient. If you really can't wait too long then my tip would be to warm condition in your house for two weeks then stick it somewhere really cold like a fridge as this will make the yeast drop out quicker (after priming). Either way hopefully your beer will clear up, or get a pewter tankard!!! I wouldn't start racking again now as it raises chances of infection and oxygen getting in.

My tuppence anyway, hope this helps.

Mish

My second brew was a Brupak Old Ale which looked very similar. I had other problems with it as one day it got to 29 degrees and I did a few gravity checks and poured it back in. It ended up with some off flavours so I chucked it in the end.

Hi
There wasn't any sugar in the pack, however the instructions talk about corn sugar, so I'll boil some up, add it, leave for a couple of weeks, then down to a cold cellar, until June.

June!!! As head brewer you have to take regular samples... Or at least I do! That way you should see a good change in the beer. On another note if you have corn sugar (Brewers sugar in the uk) then fine, if you don't then just boil up some ordinary household sugar for priming purposes. In these quantities makes no difference. Report back and let us know how it goes and in the meantime relax and have a beer!!

Latest posts

Back