Cherry Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roddy

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all

One of my first attempts at a cherry cider was 22ltr of 70/30 asda sp apple and cherrygood, with a 250ml bottle of holland and barratt montewhatsit cherry concentrate in it.

I was making it all in a single fv so had the cherry concentrate in from the start. I also added too much sugar and underprimed it (priming drops in the bottle) so ended up with a barely fizzy 10% vaguelly cherryish tasting apple wine hehe....

now, having done a few more other ciders/kits/wows etc.. and to refine the process I plan to

Make up with all asda sp apple, add sugar if required to take it to about 6%, rack off to carboy once fermented out, then add cherry concentrate (h&b stuff again or the lowitz polish stuff, if they do a cherry), add priming solution and bottle

Comments anyone ?

have I got a better chance of keeping the cherry flavour by adding it after the primary fermentation ?

Forget the priming solution as the lowitz is full of sugar. Work out how much lowitz you need for priming then add the remainder to the fv after the initial fermentation has died down after 3 days maybe.

ah yeh good call mate

Looking at the stats on a lowicz 440ml bottle... it says 63g suger per 100 ml.

prob a stupid question but does that mean that adding a whole bottle for priming would add 4.4 x 63 (277g) of sugar ?

It doesn't make any difference that the sugar is in the syrup rather than in a bag of tate & lyle ?

Might get the gear and make it up tonight/tomorrow happy days

ah yeh good call mate

Looking at the stats on a lowicz 440ml bottle... it says 63g suger per 100 ml.

prob a stupid question but does that mean that adding a whole bottle for priming would add 4.4 x 63 (277g) of sugar ?

It doesn't make any difference that the sugar is in the syrup rather than in a bag of tate & lyle ?

Might get the gear and make it up tonight/tomorrow happy days

Correct. Around 4 grams of priming sugar per 500ml bottle will get you a nice fizzy cider. So 8 grams of sugar per litre.

So if you have 22 litres of cider you need 176 grams of priming sugar.

176/63 = 2.8

2.8 x 100ml = 280ml of Lowicz is about what you should be priming with.

Back