First AG Brew Has Arrived.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eezybrewer

Beer Brewers Party Member
Reaction score
The day has come for my first ever AG brew. I am brewing Old Speckled Hen based on the recipe from Graham Wheeler. I have made a few adjustments to the grain bill so as to match the Colour, Bitterness and ABV. This is due to the colour (EBC) of my grains not matching those used in Graham's recipe. The 90 minute mash is on. I will update as the day progresses. :)

The brew is now in a fermenting bucket with the yeast pitched at 21c. I have done a 19 ltr brew and managed to get just that from the boiler. Target OG was 1.055 and I have managed to get 1.054 so not so bad. I will post grain bill later. Just having a nice cup of tea and a cream cake. :)

So as promised here is the grain bill:

For a 19 ltr brew

Marris Otter Pale Malt 3500 grams
Crystal Malt 500 grams
Black Malt 60 grams
Brewing Sugar 385 grams

Challenger Hops 24 grams at 90 mins start of boil
Goldings Hops 12 grams last 10 mins

Irish Moss 3 grams last 10 mins

Yeast was Safeale S-04 pitched at 21c

OG was 1.054 was looking at getting 1.055 so not so bad there.

As I have stated I made some adjustments in Brewmate to get the same Bitterness, Colour and AVB as stated in Graham Wheeler's recipe.

Whether or not this was the right thing to do only time will tell.

It's about 12% crystal, will be fine, just more than the recipe, maybe.

Is was a little more than the recipe but as I said I cut back on the sugar amount in the recipe to compensate. It looked good colour wise and smelt great so hopefully it should work out ok.

Sugar thins and dries a beer out, crystal adds body and sweetness. But the amount you changed the recipe won't spoil the beer, it will be absolutely fine. Sorry to make a fuss.

No problem clibit. I listen and learn from the more experienced on here. :thumb: Just been to have a look and it it is bubbling away nicely. :)

I did a gravity reading yesterday and today and it was the same 1.010. This gives me an ABV of 5.8%. I was looking to get 1.012 to get the target ABV of 5.6% as per the recipe so not to bad for my first AG brew I suppose. The brew has now been bottled and will be stored for the next two weeks at room temperature. The colour looks very close to the real thing and the taste from the sample jar was good so after conditioning for a few weeks I think it should be a very nice brew. :)

Latest posts

Back