Money 'no object'

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

munkian

Reaction score
'ello

I've got some money back from numerous PPI claims...which was nice.

I'm looking to upgrade some parts of my setup

What would you guys recommend for a good quality FV ?

I probably need to get a wort cooler too...

Can you please explain what you mean by upgrades? What equipment do you own now?

If I was going all in without a thought.

Grainfather as it contains everything you need £599.99

Ss brew tech conical fv, goes all the way upto 64+ litres. Think it's 440 for the top size and 340 for the smallest which is around 26 litres. Only might be is if you want to brew downstairs and store upstairs, it's not in any shape or form portable. You would need fastferment but they only come in one size.

Sorry, I was a bit vague

So I have a load of plastic fvs etc - I've only ever done kit bashes and a couple of small 1 gallon BIABAG brews.

I'm looking at possibly upgrading from the plastic FVs for now -I recently got a 30ltr electric boiler from Nisbets and the tap mod which includes a hop filter

If it was me, I'd sell what you have and get the grain father http://www.brewuk.co.uk/grainfather.html

Only negative I see with the kit is the size, it restricts you to doing a normal size batch. But does away with getting upto temp,keeping it there,monitoring temps,draining more boiling ect, swapping from one thing to another.

The fast ferment is also a decent option but you have to change the ball and unless you use fresh co2, you are introducing dirty air to the Beer. Can be carried for extra cost and does require a stand if you don't have it on the wall.

Ss same size version is 3x the price but is stainless steel with valves instead of a ball and just looks better lol.
http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=638

Having looked at the ss fermenter linked to on this thread I now want that instead, still have the same heat problem and I'd imagine diy would be harder for ss!

No, it takes a standard size air lock. Not sure on yours, but mine has a bung connected for an airlock. If not diy one or just buy the heater with one connected. Think mine cost £20 and its food safe.

Mine just has a small hole in the bung where the wire goes through.

I got the SS brewtech 6US gal chronicle fermenter a few months back and am really happy with it. Quality of finish is excellent. With care to oxygenate the wort and rehydrate the yeast I'm finding primary fermentation take off in a few hours and complete in 4 or 5 days. The thermowell is also useful..I didn't realist how much hotter it got in the fermenter during the initial day or two of fermentation..sometimes 4-5 deg C higher than room temp.

Latest posts

Back