Brew saturday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheazy_joe

Landlord.
Reaction score
Got a spare couple of hours tomorrow so, having bottled my Hammer of Thor on Wednesday, I'm gonna get another brew on the go.

Either Coopers European Lager or Pilsner.

First 'proper' go at lager (I think the Hammer comes with an ale yeast given brew temps?).

Coopers don't tend to be overly generous with the yeast, anyone else done these and added more yeast?

Very few complaints about the Coopers yeast(s), that I am aware of, from this site. Certainly none from me.

If you are doing a lager with a lager yeast, the main issue is temperature control. There is plenty of advice on the Forum.

I wouldn't even dream about brewing lager using an actual lager yeast without a brew fridge myself.

Not got a brew fridge am afraids so gonna have to be the cupboard the under stairs, which holds a pretty constant 16 degrees.

On the brew fridge subject, can these be bought or is it something I should be putting together myself?

There is a fair amount of information on the subject on the Forum.

This thread is a "sticky"

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=51855

16C seems too warm to get the best out of a lager yeast, although this is on the basis of what I have read, as opposed to what I have brewed.

12-13C seems to be the preferred range of temperatures for a proper lager yeast. This is, of course, rather cooler than a modern centrally heated house and explains why "lager" kits come with ale yeast.

So got the European lager going on Saturday afternoon. Took it to 21litres and pitched the yeast at 23 degrees. Lowered to 20 degrees and kept it there for 24 hours. Have now moved it to cooler room and temp has dropped to 16 degrees, hoping it will go a bit lower. Got airlock activity within an hour of pitching the yeast. Used 1kg of brew enhancer 2, was gonna add a bit more sugar but didn't have any in the house!

Bottled the european lager last night after 15 days in the FV.

Beer was very clear and tasted pretty good already.

Carbed with 2 drops per 500ml bottle (I like my beer fizzy).

Will keep it in the spare room for 10-14 days to carb up then move to the garage for another ten weeks or so.

Gonna be a hard slog giving it the full condition time but I've got some coopers draught left over and my hammer of thor has been conditioning for a few weeks now so I should have enough beer to keep me going.

Latest posts

Back