What Hop

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like them all!

Simcoe, Amarillo, Citra and Centennial are fantastic in American style ales. Galaxy too.

Motueka, Nelson Sauvin, Green Bullet and Wakatu for a NZ pale.

First Gold, Northdown, EKG, Challenger, Bobek and Brewers Gold in English style ales.

Impossible to pick one from those.

Last edited:
Got a lot of favourites.

As with clibit I love Wakatu and Wai-iti in a NZ pale ale that I do.

Cascade,Citra,Galaxy and Hull Melon are my favourites to use in IPA's.

Some of the more traditional English style hops for my porters and stouts like EKG and Fuggles.

I would like to use a hop that imparts a bit of spice into my porter if anyone has any ideas or tips?

Had a few to many on sunday night and went on a auction site so could not resist at the price so bought these
Magnum
Aramis

Any thoughts on what ale styles these would be suited for are they better suited for aroma or bittering ?
Regards Steve

Magnum is a good bittering hop. A lot of homebrewers like it cos it provides bittering with very little flavour, allowing you to use late hops to provide all the flavour and aroma. Aramis is an aroma hop, used a lot in Belgian ales, suited to blonde beers I suspect, but never used it. People speak well of it though.

Thank you Clibit they were both make a offer so got 200g of both for 5 pounds each including postage so thought id give them ago
Regards Steve

So ok im thinking ive found my favourite its Motueka awesome hop :-D
Steve

So ok im thinking ive found my favourite its Motueka awesome hop :-D
Steve

the night is young, so I ho(p)e to get around to this one on my travels.

my faves so far are galaxy & Amarillo out of 4 hops tried in my HB.

I have admiral, Apollo & Chinook on their way which will make a total of 7 hops tried in my HB.

As for commercials
I've had EKG in various Shepard neame beers and various other hops in brewdog beers, etc. Tried a mosaic from m&s and that was disappointing. not put off, I think they went easy on the hops.

I tend to put 100-200g hops in per 21 litres of beer.:-D

the night is young, so I ho(p)e to get around to this one on my travels.

my faves so far are galaxy & Amarillo out of 4 hops tried in my HB.

I have admiral, Apollo & Chinook on their way which will make a total of 7 hops tried in my HB.

As for commercials
I've had EKG in various Shepard neame beers and various other hops in brewdog beers, etc. Tried a mosaic from m&s and that was disappointing. not put off, I think they went easy on the hops.

I tend to put 100-200g hops in per 21 litres of beer.:-D
The only one on your list i have not tried yet is the Mosaic i do like EKG i must admit and Amarillo oh the list goes on lol but thanks to Clibit for giving me the intro to Motueka. Starting to think he is the beer god:wink:
Steve

The only one on your list i have not tried yet is the Mosaic i do like EKG i must admit and Amarillo oh the list goes on lol but thanks to Clibit for giving me the intro to Motueka. Starting to think he is the beer god:wink:
Steve

Mosaic is awesome! If you like the American hops that is. Got a single hop IPA on the go with it at the moment. If you get the chance, try Adnams Mosaic Pale Ale, great pint.

Steve

Clibit is the beer god! No doubt about that.:hat:

Decided to do a ale with 28g Perle at 60 mins and 28g EKG at 30 mins and 28g EKG at flame out loving the combo, First for me with the Perle
Steve

Has anyone tried Jarrylo Hops? sounds interesting thinking about putting together a order with THBC

Jarrylo 100g (USA) Vacuum packed Alpha Acid 12.6% 2014 Harvest
Jarrylo offers complex fruit flavours that make for a very unique Pale Ale and blend seamlessly into an IPA. Notes of orange marmalade, citrus and herbal spice are intense on the nose, and carry over to the glass with a subdued tropical flavour. This hop translates perfectly to Pale Ales, Saisons and Belgians. Dual purpose hop. Vacuum foil packed for guaranteed freshness.

Just ordered this lot:

Hallertau Hops 100gm
£3.49Item
Saaz Hops 100gm
£4.39Item
Summer Hops 100gm
£4.90Item
Perle Hops 100gm
£3.60Item
Total £16.38 GBP

I've used the Perle before and really liked them, looking forward to trying the rest.

Just ordered this lot:

Hallertau Hops 100gm
�£3.49Item
Saaz Hops 100gm
�£4.39Item
Summer Hops 100gm
�£4.90Item
Perle Hops 100gm
�£3.60Item
Total �£16.38 GBP

I've used the Perle before and really liked them, looking forward to trying the rest.

Good choice Larry, ive used them all apart from the Summer got them just not used them, my order is standing at 126 pounds not finished yet, i always get carried away with the hop section lol

Its brew day so planning on using Citra as my main hop but what should i use with it any recommendations ?

ps who unstickied my thread?

Back