Accidentally sucked some sediment into my pressure barrel:

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norkie

Hopping on it.
Reaction score
Hey All,
I just bottled and pressure barrelled my beer today, from it's fermentation bucket (it was a Wherry kit).

While trying to get the last of the beer out, i managed to suck through about one or two desert spoons-worth of the sediment from the bottom of the FV into the pressure barrel.

Basically, the auto siphon i was using, with the sediment trap on it wasn't pulling beer through any more so i swapped to a much bigger hose and tap, without a trap on :nah:

I won't be doing that again.

Is this going to be an issue for the beer in the barrel?
I really don't want to move it if i don't have to in case of mixing air in!

I suppose, i could go grab some more bottles tomorrow and move it into them using the tap.

I've nurtured this for two weeks, been anal about sterilization and tried to be patient but i rushed a bit this morning.

I new i'd probably suck out sediment with the pants siphon that came with the kit (without a sediment trap). Hence why I bought another pants one, with a sediment trap on.

Think i need to re-think this stage of the process don't I. :doh:

Regards,
Jonathan.

The sediment is highly poisonous.

No not really, it's fine. Might take a bit longer to clear but not a problem. I don't use a sediment trap, but have a rigid u bend bit on the siphon which hooks over the fv edge, then a rigid length going into the fv which is adjustable. So you can adjust it to sit above the sediment and not worry about holding it in position. It's this one:
http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Expandable_Syphon.html#.VRb7MIaQGrU

The sediment is highly poisonous.

No not really, it's fine. Might take a bit longer to clear but not a problem. I don't use a sediment trap, but have a rigid u bend bit on the siphon which hooks over the fv edge, then a rigid length going into the fv which is adjustable. So you can adjust it to sit above the sediment and not worry about holding it in position. It's this one:
http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Expandable_Syphon.html#.VRb7MIaQGrU

:electric: Hahahaha.
Yeah... lol
Now, that's the exact same siphon i bought (it has a little black trap on the bottom of it) but it stalled out with about an inch left in the bottom of the FV. No sediment blocking it...?
Am I just trying to get too much out of the FV?

I prop the fv up on something for the last few dregs so you've still got a deepish pool to drain from.

I used to try to get every last possible drop but now take a much more relaxed view. I'm not bothered about leaving an inch or two any more and would rather avoid disturbing the sediment. The last bottle or two and cloudy anyway when I try to take them.

I prop the fv up on something for the last few dregs so you've still got a deepish pool to drain from.

The problem I found with propping it up was that the siphon is fixed in a u-shape by hard plastic so that it makes it impossible to keep the siphon upright.

Latest posts

Back