Force carbing with corny kegs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRtHonorable

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've recently got some corny kegs, and a converted fire extinguisher as a co2 tank. It's all finally working now when tested with water in the kegs.

So... Now I need to get some beer in there! I have a nice Citra / Columbus pale ale than will be ready to keg next week, but I just need to know what pressures to use to get it force carbed and then to dispense at.

The kegs I'm using are 9L versions. What pressure is good for force carbing? What should I then drop it to to dispense?

The idea is to keep the beer portable for parties and holidays, so I have a dispensing tap attached directly to the outlet disconnect, if that makes any difference to pressure settings.

Also, once it's carbed, and there's some pressure in the keg, how much beer will the stored pressure dispense? I'd Rather not take the co2 tank everywhere if I can avoid it.

Cheers,

Chris

I tend to set my gauge at 25psi and open up twice a day for about a week. I do not leave the gas on full time just in case there is a leak. I have separate pressure gauges so can keep an eye on pressure drop which does slow down as the beer becomes carbed.
Once carbed I tend to keep them at 10psi but I do have about 3mts of dispense line before the tap. You may have issues with a direct tap.
I do have my cornies in a fridge at 5c though, you can have problems with froth if the temp increases.

When the keg is full the pressure drops much quicker than when the keg is less full. Pull a pint when full and the available head space almost doubles thus reducing the pressure by half, You will need gas to top up until the head space increases.

You will probably have a bit of trial and error until it all comes together but it will be worth it in the end.

Latest posts

Back