I'm ready to try my first AG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian808

Regular.
Reaction score
After reading about the gallon brews that you can do on kitchen cooker (see clibit's post HERE) and others posting what they done I'm about to try it. The bloke at copperkettle homebrew done me a little recipe with pale malt crystal malt and a little torrefied wheat. Then some fuggle and golding hops. He even had it all weighed separate for me so I can just add the correct amounts during boil. As I have a 12 litre stock pot he based recipe on near 11 litre boil with a final volume of 8. Looking forward to trying this and possibly others although I think the beer I brew from kits are really good I'm interested to see difference if there is any.

Not went to well. My mash was down to 61 C after 1 hour and 10 minutes. Boil for an hour which should have taken me down to less than 8 litres but was half a litre over SG was meant to be 1050 but was only 1036. I used a bag and don't think i got it all mixed in enough at start with. Think next time I'll put grain into pot and then use bag to strain. Took a lot longer than i thought but hopefully worth it. Will try again soon as this one is in bottle

It'll still be good I reckon. Just not so strong.

You need a bag that sits in the pot and folds over the sides, so you can pour the grain slowly into the water while stirring it in. A bag that the pot will just fit inside is the perfect size. I made mine from muslin. You can then stir the mash briefly every 20 minutes or so and at the end. If it was 61 after 70 minutes it will have been within the right temp range for long enough. Did you wrap the pot with anything to retain heat?

I used an old fleece wrapped round pot. My bag was one that I bought (youngs) which is long and thin tube shaped. Next time I will put a towel wrapped round and then into fleece, would it be better to just put grain in loose and strain through the bag when mash is finished that way I could stir anytime to make sure I get a better SG

Well as I was transferring my latest kit brew to 2nd FV i decided to do the same with my AG. It was day 6 and to my suprise its down to 1008 and there is loads of trub. I suppose this is due to the half pack of yeast to a 8 litre brew. It seemed quite clear so i might bottle it during the week if i have time or the weekend where it will have had my planned 2 weeks

I've just done my 2nd AG, use of a bag really made it easier, I got this one off eBay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mashing-A...377?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item461a9c8a61

With smaller volume brews (I'm doing 10L ones), I can get my pot into a warm oven to keep the temp up during the mash.

That looks a lot better than mine, does it go round the top of your pot so you can stir the grain to start with. This was my problem (I think) as I couldn't get them mixed in well as bag was tight.

Well tried this after two weeks in the bottle and tastes good. Reminds me of a beer I've drank in the past but can't remember what. Going to keep some for another week or two to see if there's a difference. My second one is nearly ready for bottling which is going to be similar, slightly different recipe. Looking for something differentfor my next one. Anyone know what recipe abbot ale reserve uses was looking on net but can't see it.

@ian808 - where are you based? Copper Kettle is pretty local to me although I've not been yet, is it a good shop?

I'm in kettering and copper kettle is 5 minutes away in burton latimer. It's a pretty good shop with loads of kits and a lot of grain and such. The block who runs it is good very friendly and knows lots about brewing. He does his own brewing from shed behind shop.

Back