AG Smoked Chocolate Porter?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eezybrewer

Beer Brewers Party Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a nice AG Smoked Chocolate Porter recipe. If any of our members have one they are willing to share or if they could point me in the right direction to one, I would be most grateful. :hat:

I have a smoked oatmeal stout recipe that may offer you a base recipe to mess with and adapt to a chocolate porter. All you really need to do is remove the oatmeal and mess with the amount of chocolate and black malt to lighten the colour slightly then add your cocoa or whatever you are planning to use for your chocolate flavour.

What about
Pale Malt 4.5kg
Smoked malt 700g
Black Malt 300g
Crystal Malt 200g
Caramalt 200g

Hops
Challenger35g At start of boil
Willamette 20g last ten mins
willamette 20g flame out

Yeast
wyeast 1187 Ringwood ale

Never tried it found it in a book hope it helps you
Regards Steve

Thanks for input so far guys. clibit, the link you have posted looks promising and offers up something to work with. It says it is a 90 min boil but nothing about the time for the mash. Will this also be 90 mins?

60-90. Mash length shouldn't affect things hugely. Be careful what smoked malt you get. Needs a bit of research I think, check out different types, it's likely some are smokier than others and this will dramatically influence the smokiness of the beer. I would be cautious, a very smoky beer might not be very palatable.

Cheers for the reply clibit. The place I have been getting my malts from has a peated malt at EBC 6. Would this be suitable?

I don't know. Find out exactly what it is - the name of the maltster and what they call it, if you can.

Well the Stone recipe uses lightly peated malt, so hopefully it is similar or the same. I'd do the recipe as it is, malt wise, 28g is quite conservative, and you can see how smoky it is and adjust next time. I wouldn't buy the recipe hops in specially, just don't use pungent hops, Perle and Mount Hood are not pungent hops.

clibit.......7/8 of a cup of priming sugar is stated in that recipe. I make that about 175g. Does that sound a lot for a 19 ltr brew?

Yes it does. 60g is about right unless you like more carbonation. 80g would be plenty even so.

High carbonation means high fizz. You could go as high as 125g in a 19L Porter batch, but do you want a very fizzy Porter? 60g is the bottom of the range, so you could go in the middle, 80 -100g.

Latest posts

Back