Bottling Muntons Gold Imperial Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tibbs1972

Reaction score
I bottled my Imperial Stout last night after 4 weeks in the fermenting bin.

I managed to get a final gravity of 1.014 = 4% ABV.

I think it was ready last week, but I thought it better to leave it and make sure.
Maybe I'm finally developing some patience.

This was a messy brew, the airlock blocked, which I had to clean and replace.

I got 39 bottles out of the brew in the end.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OsyXulmFtE[/ame]

Nice video!

I have a very similar setup, wilko's bucket , auto syphon and then transfer into a youngs 30 litre bucket it has a tap and the bottling wand goes on it like in your video. Only difference is I use a baking tray with a 'sponge like' dishcloth to absorb drips and stop splashes.

I find there's not much headspace in the wilkos bucket and i need to leave fermenter for 10-12 hours unattended so I'm brewing short to ensure lots of headspace to avoid overflows.

It does limit however being able to brew anything strong over 21 litres. did 21 litres at 8.15% and it was scarily close to the lid.

I suppose I need to get another youngs 30 litre bucket. Not that I can lift much more than 21 litres due to a bad back, but would like to try something around 10% mark. only had 17.5 litres from my last brew due to dry hops soaking up a fair bit.

I use a couple of of pet bottles to indicate when the batch has carbed up, but the rest are brown glass bottles. The thornbrigde bottles are a pain as the are very dark, hard to see how they're filling up. Erdinger bottles are my fav. for bottling. You can see the beer in them and the labels soak off easily.

The beer looked nice and thick in the bucket, thicker than 4% :-), but I thought imperial stouts were stronger than that?

Nice video!

I have a very similar setup, wilko's bucket , auto syphon and then transfer into a youngs 30 litre bucket it has a tap and the bottling wand goes on it like in your video. Only difference is I use a baking tray with a 'sponge like' dishcloth to absorb drips and stop splashes.

I find there's not much headspace in the wilkos bucket and i need to leave fermenter for 10-12 hours unattended so I'm brewing short to ensure lots of headspace to avoid overflows.

It does limit however being able to brew anything strong over 21 litres. did 21 litres at 8.15% and it was scarily close to the lid.

I suppose I need to get another youngs 30 litre bucket. Not that I can lift much more than 21 litres due to a bad back, but would like to try something around 10% mark. only had 17.5 litres from my last brew due to dry hops soaking up a fair bit.

I use a couple of of pet bottles to indicate when the batch has carbed up, but the rest are brown glass bottles. The thornbrigde bottles are a pain as the are very dark, hard to see how they're filling up. Erdinger bottles are my fav. for bottling. You can see the beer in them and the labels soak off easily.

The beer looked nice and thick in the bucket, thicker than 4% :-), but I thought imperial stouts were stronger than that?

Thanks for your comments.

I thought the Imperial Stouts were stronger, but the SG was 1.044 and the FG was 1.014 after four weeks @20 Degrees Celcius.

I've read reviews that this stout is not as strong as stated on the box, obliviously after I bought the kit.

I had a quick taste from the last drop. It wasn't that thick, but it did taste pretty good, even though still flat.

Time will tell as usual.

I've got a Milestone Black Pearl Irish Stout ready to bottle as well this week, it seems to be the same.
I was thinking about using my King Keg for that, but it's getting warmer now and I've only got one fridge at the moment. I may bottle them as well, so that I can keep stocked up with different varieties in the Fridge.

Imperial Stouts generally start at around 7%. Whatever this is, it's not Imperial.

Latest posts

Back