Think I've messed up

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregvespa

Reaction score
I think I've messed up.
I've started a Magnum strawberry cider brew on Tuesday but didn't place it in a warm place until yesterday as I thought by the radiator would be warm enough.
It's now in the boiler cuboard so lovely and warm.
Will this effect the brewing?
Thanks

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

It will be fine, too cool is better than too hot.
I keep my DJ's on top of the fridge freezer (its the only spare room i have in the kitchen) and have never had one fail even in winter, keep an eye on the temperature in the boiler cupboard as i said you don't want it getting too hot.

Ok so I had froth bubbling out of the top air hole and this has calmed down today.
Opened the lid and its got a large froth on top.
Ive pushed the froth back and you can see small bubbles coming up like a fizz.
Ive not got a device to test it so does it sound ready to add the flavour?
Been fermenting for a week.
Ta

The only way to know for sure is by taking a reading with a hydrometer, an airlock that is not showing bubbles doesn't always mean it's finished, looking for bubbles on the surface is also not a good indication.

I am such a noob.
Bought the hydrometer, got it home and then read that I need a tester tube. DOH!

If you are using a bucket you don't need a test jar just put it in the bucket and leave it in there (Sterilise it first) if you use DJ's you can take a reading but the DJ has to be full enough to allow you to remove it, i have read some members use the tube its supplied in though for me it seems a little too tight a fit to get an accurate reading.

Latest posts

Back