Fuggles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Covrich

Geek
Staff member
Reaction score
I tried my hobgoblin style partial mash.

To my shame it has only been bottled 1 week (Yes I know , never tried one this young before!!!!!).

Don't get me wrong it didn't taste like bad in a bad way but it certainly needs time to age I think.

However the fuggles didn't half seem earthy.. I have read about these being like this but it was really really earthy, at the minute overpoweringly earthy

I expect it to mellow and blend out over the next month or so (at least I hope). Anyone else notice this with this hop

I should also probably add that the recipe used both Fuggles and Styrian goldings but I assume its the fuggles which create that earthiness.

Yep they're earthy. Like soil. Not really my bag. I'd certainly never do a single hop.

Isn't styrian a fuggle offspring? That would give you double earthy-ness, which might explain it

Hmm not entirely sure it is my bag either.

I decided from now on I am not going to try to clone commercial ales I like anyway because despite how good your results are, you are always trying to reference to something else.

However despite that the recipe for hobgoblin definatley called for Fuggles and Styrian goldings. (odd that they would pick too soily types ones)

Its still very young so perhaps as it ages the earthiness will mellow and I can get some more maltiness to it (earth blows everything away)

That is my hope anyway

Styrian Goldings are Fuggles hops grown in Slovenia. They are different though, and I like them. I much prefer Bobek though, also grown in Slovenia, bred from Northern Brewer, and can be used where recipes call for Styrians. I believe Styrian Goldings used to be a blend of Slovenian hops including Bobek, but the EU made them sell each hop individually. Aurora is another nice Styrian, also bred from N Brewer. Celeia is a Styrian bred from Fuggles I think.

Thanks well I guess I will just have to see how it turns out.. It might be okay once it has ages a bit.

I can no longer say I know Fuggle about fuggles ;)

Back