Advice needed please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L14m23

Reaction score
Hello it's my 1st attempt at a cider/Apple wine what I've done is put 4 litre of not from concentrate Apple juice and 500g of sugar and 5g of youngs super wine yeast compound in a Demijohn and put it near my radiator in spare room for the 1st 3 days there was a head on the Apple juice and now 7 days after its back normal ? Is it possible too be ready after a week ? Thanks

It may have finished its ferment, but a hydrometer test over a few days will confirm. However as with all wine, cider, beer, a while conditioning won't do it any harm :)

Okay thanks as daft as it sounds whats a hydrometer test ? Alls I've been told too do is put what I have done in a demijohn and wait 4-6 weeks and it will be ready but all seems too have stopped after 7 days ?

A hydrometer is a device that looks a lot like a fishing float that tells you how much sugar is in a liquid. They cost about £3.50. The measurement is called the specific gravity ( SG).

If you measure the SG before you ferment and then again when it has finished you can work out how much sugar has been converted to alcohol by the difference between them.

When you think it has stopped fermenting it is good practice to take a reading, leave it a couple of days and take another. If the two readings are the same then it has definitely finished.

In general leaving it in the Demijohn for a few weeks improves the flavour even if it stops fermenting after a few days.

Okay thanks as daft as it sounds whats a hydrometer test ? Alls I've been told too do is put what I have done in a demijohn and wait 4-6 weeks and it will be ready but all seems too have stopped after 7 days ?

twostage is spot on. This Craigtube Vid may help too
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTvmYaQq6Mc[/ame]

Latest posts

Back