First attempt at brewing.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ste

Reaction score
My first go at brewing. Started on Sunday avo took about 3.5 hours.
Got the bottoms up ipa kit from brew craft beer, it's an all grain kit, should make about 4ltr.
Went pretty well tbh for a first go I reckon.

Instructions said to use only 2 litres of water to make the mash, think I would use 3 litres next time as it didn't seem enough....

Found it a bit tricky keeping mash at a steady temperature but have a better idea how to manage it next time.
Next stage was the sparge, no pictures of that as I made an **** of it :D
Sieve that I ordered never turned up so had to use the kitchen one. Was a bit on the small side and ended up falling in the wort, just sieved it all again :D

The boil, pretty straight forward but ended up boiling off much more wort than I expected, just had to top up with tap water.
Checked the SG and it was around 1.065 so about right?
Got a few random bubbles after 4-5 hours but today its going at 1 bubble every 4 seconds roughly.

If you up the mash liquor to 3ltrs then check the gravity as I feel it will lower itself with the extra litre.
you say the SG was 1065??? whats the final? i cant see it being 6% ABV more like 5 to 5.5% as you'll need to rack at 1010 & no lower or condition will be flat as a pancake. Good luck by the way!!!!!

Said on the kit that it should be 6%+
So am pretty happy with that SG :)

I thought I had to wait until the end of fermentation before I could take the final gravity check?

That mash looks way too dry btw, you defo need more water than that in the mash. You need 2.5 to 3 litres of mash water per kg of grain.

However, your extraction seems to have been fine!

Aye I thought it looked too dry and that's why I'd put the extra litre in the mash the next time round.
Sparged with 4 litres and I think I'd keep that the same even if I used the extra litre in the mash.

This was just a practise run tbh.
Going to get another batch going next weekend and hopefully learn from the mistakes of this one.
Although am pretty happy with the way it's gone so far tbh.

Will have a scout around the forum for an easy recipe for my next batch :)

How much grain did you put in? Looks like a flapjack :rofl:

Looks like it might turn out alright though

If like me you're currently mashing on a hob what you may find easier is a wireless or thermometer where you can fit the lid on the pan still.. this will help maintaining the mash temp (I am assuming you mashed with the lid off from that picture)

:D
Was thicker than my morning porridge mate!
I followed the instructions on the kit but didn't think that mash looked right.

Not sure of weights as it came from a kit and I forgot to weigh it :rolleyes:
Aye I mashed with the lid off and I've just ordered a thermometer that I can attach to the pot ;)

You could have taken some of the mash out, put it in a separate pan, mixed some melted butter and syrup in, and then spread it out in a shallow dish to set. :-)

Your mash needs a lid on and a fleece or something over it to help it hold its temperature.

:rofl:

It's like the W.I in here with all the baking tips :)

Aye will keep the lid on next time and the window closed to try and keep temperature steady.

Put the lid on and then put a folded towel, or fleece or something over it. Get the picture? Then tuck into a flapjack while it looks after itself and the sparge water heats up.

Aye got it mate :thumb:

Hopefully it'll not look like flapjack the next time though :D

Back