Coopers FV disaster!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budgie

Regular.
Reaction score
I've currently got a Youngs Oaked Rum Ale on the go. Tonight I noticed a very strong smell coming from the room where my FV is. On inspection I realised that the tap on my coopers FV Is leaking. (it's lasted all of 3 weeks!). :-(

Luckily, I bought another FV over the weekend, but I haven't yet gotten round to buying a syphon. So after mopping up 3.5 litres of the stuff I drained it into my new FV using the tap. I did it as slowly as possibly so as not to oxygenate the brew but there were a few bubbles floating on the top when I was done. Could this have any adverse effect on it?

It's been on for 11 days now and the Gravity has stabilised (my fabulously accurate Coopers hydrometer is reading 999!!:lol:)so it'll be a shame if I've buggered it at this stage.

I've currently got a Youngs Oaked Rum Ale on the go. Tonight I noticed a very strong smell coming from the room where my FV is. On inspection I realised that the tap on my coopers FV Is leaking. (it's lasted all of 3 weeks!). :-(

Luckily, I bought another FV over the weekend, but I haven't yet gotten round to buying a syphon. So after mopping up 3.5 litres of the stuff I drained it into my new FV using the tap. I did it as slowly as possibly so as not to oxygenate the brew but there were a few bubbles floating on the top when I was done. Could this have any adverse effect on it?

It's been on for 11 days now and the Gravity has stabilised (my fabulously accurate Coopers hydrometer is reading 999!!:lol:)so it'll be a shame if I've buggered it at this stage.

It'll probably be OK. Those bubble will be a co2 release from the brew itself - So no probs whatsoever - enjoy

did the tap break at the section where the two halves come together? mine went after 4 or 5 brews. I contacted Coopers who kindly sent out a new one which did the same thing on first brew! seems like a bad design to be honest.

Thanks for the reassurance. :-D

There was a steady drip from the tap so I think the seal isn't very good. It's ok with the bottling wand in so I think I'll just use it for priming and bottling from now on.

Thanks again guys :)

Latest posts

Back