1st biab lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brydo

Regular.
Reaction score
hi guys, well the first biab has been fermenting away now for two weeks and i must say cant wait to taste it. now i was planning on leaving it in primary for four weeks as i dont have a secondry fermenter at this time. my question is, will it be ok on the trub for another two weeks ? its a mangrove jacks lager yeast and is sitting at a cool and steady 11oc. im planning on bringing it out tomorrow and sitting it at room tempreture for a couple of days for the dyactyl res, then moving it back to the cooler tempreture for the remainder of the two weeks. then just bottling it as normal and sitting them somewhwere as cold as possible for about a month( if i can wait that long ). does this process sound ok to you more experieanced guys out there ? cheers as always guys

hi guys, well the first biab has been fermenting away now for two weeks and i must say cant wait to taste it. now i was planning on leaving it in primary for four weeks as i dont have a secondry fermenter at this time. my question is, will it be ok on the trub for another two weeks ? its a mangrove jacks lager yeast and is sitting at a cool and steady 11oc. im planning on bringing it out tomorrow and sitting it at room tempreture for a couple of days for the dyactyl res, then moving it back to the cooler tempreture for the remainder of the two weeks. then just bottling it as normal and sitting them somewhwere as cold as possible for about a month( if i can wait that long ). does this process sound ok to you more experieanced guys out there ? cheers as always guys

It sounds fine. Sitting there for a month sounds ok to me too. I do this often. The only difference I'd make is leave it to ferment out then bottle, with the diacetyl taking place in the bottle at room temp for up to a week, aiding carbonation then lager. But it's six and half a dozen really

thanks mate, is transferring to a secondry just about personal preference rather than a rule then ? i reckon i can get the tempreture down to around 8oc steady, hopefully that will be cool enough for conditioning

thanks mate, is transferring to a secondry just about personal preference rather than a rule then ? i reckon i can get the tempreture down to around 8oc steady, hopefully that will be cool enough for conditioning

I think a secondary is great for clearing and bulk conditioning. If you are kegging and force carbing this may be preferable, but many keggers will just use a primary, so yes personal preference unless you plan to bulk condition for months.
If you're priming bottles (esp. High carbed beers) then clearing too much causes carbonation issues down the line (unless you reintroduced yeast). I think 8c sounds like a perfect temp. Good luck:-)

Back