Third BIAB brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cwrw666

Landlord.
Reaction score
This is my third attempt at AG BIAB brewing.
All 3 have been recipes from Greg Hughes's `Home Brew Beer' book.
The first was East Kent Goldings Single Hop Ale - my mash was a bit of a disaster and I ended up with 4 gallons instead of 5, 4% ABV instead of 5%, extremely hoppy beer. Not undrinkable but not that nice either - too bitter for me at any rate.
Second brew was Northern Brown Ale, which turned out dead on 5 gallons and 5% ABV as it was meant to be. At bottling it tasted very nice indeed so I'm looking forward to the first bottles after conditioning.

So now my third brew, and back to the East Kent Goldings recipe. But I've changed it a bit, I've reduced the pale malt to 8.5 lbs instead of 10.5 lbs, hoping to end up with 5 gallons at 4% ABV (there's also half a pound of crystal malt as well). I'm also reducing the hop levels by a fair bit. Recipe calls for 49g at start of boil, 24g for last 15 mins, 24g for last 5, and 75g at turn off. Instead I'm going to use - 30g, 15g, 15g and 60g at turn off.

Wish me luck ! :lol:

Leave your first brew alone for a while and the hoppiness is likely to calm down. I have done the same with brews that have been too hoppy. I make that first brew of yours about 40 IBUs, and your planned version about 25 IBUs. Looks like a good plan.

Leave your first brew alone for a while and the hoppiness is likely to calm down.

I expect so, but I don't have much else ready to drink so it's got to go. :lol:
Even when I've been making kits they're only just getting to the drinkable stage when I'm approaching the last bottle!
Also, I think the hops were `stronger' than the book figures by quite a bit as well - the figure they give as a % was higher, and I didn't reduce the hop amounts to compensate, so I think the IBU levels may be quite a bit higher than expected.
Anyway, just checked and the new brew is frothing away in the FV. And I seem to have all the ingredients for an oatmeal stout when this one's done, so this could be the next one...

Latest posts

Back