Newbie needs advise please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pauldonnelly

Reaction score
I'll be bottling my lager up in a day or two how many carbonation drops should I use in 50cl bottles ,it says 2 in instructions but that's for 75cl bottles any advice would be appreciated cheers

Paul. I recently did a coopers lager kit and used one drop per 500ml bottle. It's tastes fine and definitely carbonated well. Perhaps loses its head a bit quick but that's probably more down to the kit. 2 drops would make it very fizzy. Maybe you'd like it like that.

What do you think of putting 11/2tablets in a bottle , if there easy to split,thanks for advise ,this is my first go at homebrewing ,you hav to hav lots of patience haha

If you had the same carbonation drops as me then cutting them in half would make for a fun afternoon ;)

Maybe use one drop and a tiny bit of extra brewing sugar? Have read it should be one teaspoon of sugar to normally carbonate a 500ml bottle so if you wanted to go beyond the drops I wouldn't use much. Tbh I'm a newbie too and you might be best off waiting for some advice from someone more experienced. Are you using pet or glass bottles ?

One drop per 500ml bottle worked fine for me. Each drop weighs around 4g. (60 drops is roughly 250g). If you want to prime at 6g per bottle then put in 1 drop plus what is about half that in table sugar.

If you have time on your hands, you could weigh out 20x an estimate of a quarter teaspoon against 10 carbonation drops. This will give you an idea of what half a drop looks like in sugar and will be worth the playing time in the end.

I'm using pet bottles, if 1 drop is fine that's what I'll do , you learn by mistakes , such along time to wait though

I would work out how many litres and multiply by 7g per litre
Eg 20 x 7 = 140g
weigh them out to this weight and dissolve the lot in a little boiled water then add to fv half hour before bottling
Good luck

Back