Dry hopping, Cold crashing and warm rooms.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Battleaxe

Reaction score
So for two weeks my coopers dark ale has been in primary, it fermented from 1050 to 1004 in 5 days at 18c and did a spell at 21c while it settled after I moved it to rack to secondary.

I dry hopped 50g of fuggles into the secondary and the FV is currently sat at 14-16c in my porch it's been there for 3 days.

After some research many users talk about the benefits of cold crashing before bottling, as I have never kept the FV anywhere warm does this mean it's always been too cold? Can I cold crash? Or have I already achieved this keeping my secondary at 16c?

My hop pellets haven't sunk to the bottom yet but they have slowly transformed into a thick mush in my FV.

I'm also intrigued to know if keeping a secondary FV too cold for fermentation has any good/bad effects on the final product?

All my samples prior to dry hopping have tasted excellent so until now I have had no cause for concern.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

I would say as long as fermentation is finished having a coldish secondary is okay as it probably conditions in bulk a bit better.

The one thing I would say and this is going on from a user complaining about something similar yesterday is dry hopping is less efficient at lower temps, that being said you seem happy with your result so I wouldn't worry.

I had a feeling that it wasn't as effective at low temps, I'm going to bottle on Saturday so I will be moving my FV into my warm kitchen to settle again before I rack into my bottling bucket. I hope I get some more flavour this way.

I was contemplating priming with treacle but I have seen mixed opinions and no real advise on how much to use per litre of wort, any thoughts?

Latest posts

Back