What hops?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wez130

Reaction score
I'm close to starting brewing but i haven't really considered my ingredients yet and i have alot to learn with regards to differenciating between the properties of the different hops. What would people recommend for my first brew, i like a light refreshing beer which is easy to drink, so what ingredients would you recommend i buy to produce a beer with the above properties?

Once i get the hang on things, i want to brew something with similar properties to a Belgian beer called Cuvee des trolls, what i like about this beer is the smell when you raise the glass to your mouth, it's a fruity / floral aroma, for those who know what i mean, what hops would produce something similar?

Another beer with similar characteristics is King goblin (Whychwood)

Thanks, Wez

My advice would first to pick a style you want to brew, then search out recipes in that style. Belgian varieties often have somewhat esoteric steps but otherwise the above strategy would work.

One thing I am considering is trying the same recipe (say a Pale Ale) but trying it with different hops. All things remaining equal, it should be easy to get a sense for different hop tastes.

Latest posts

Back