Finings - irish moss

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManchesterBrewCoop

Reaction score
I have seen bags of unprocessed irish moss, for small sums. Or powdered stuff from brew shops for large sums. Is there a difference? Is the ground-up dried seaweed just as good?

Not really sure but I would imagine one would need a lot more of the unprocessed stuff to get the desired degree of coagulation.

Only one way to find out!

Where in Manc are you coop? And what do you do? Did I meet you in a cellar with a cauldron once?

Only one way to find out!

Where in Manc are you coop? And what do you do? Did I meet you in a cellar with a cauldron once?

Indeed. Have a nearly endless supply of old Westons demijohns, so can split some brews and do some side by side comparisons.

Am based in south Manchester, as is the coop: https://www.facebook.com/groups/manchesterbrewingcoop/?ref=ts&fref=ts
We are a home brew group who share equipment and buy ingredients together, and very occassionally put on fundraising beer festivals. We have a 30L apple press, and aim to build a bigger one from scratch and are growing apple trees, and hops. Thinking about a gruit garden too.

Latest posts

Back