Priming Sugar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budgie

Regular.
Reaction score
Evening all,

Another noob question but just want a bit of clarification before I proceed.

I currently have a Youngs Oaked Rum Ale in my FV which is ready for priming/bottling. I had a bit of a disaster earlier this week - thanks to a leaky tap I got to mop up 3 litres of my brew from the floor. :x

So, the kit came with 100g of priming sugar which I assume is the right amount for a 23 litre brew. I obviously need to adjust the amount of priming sugar in relation to the amount of brew I've lost. In simple terms 100g/23l = roughly 4.35g per litre. So for the 20 litres I have left I'll need about 87g of sugar.

Does this sound about right? It's going in glass bottles so I don't want to over prime.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom

Sounds right, for ales i normally prime 500ml bottles half a teaspoon now lager a full teaspoon

Evening all,

Another noob question but just want a bit of clarification before I proceed.

I currently have a Youngs Oaked Rum Ale in my FV which is ready for priming/bottling. I had a bit of a disaster earlier this week - thanks to a leaky tap I got to mop up 3 litres of my brew from the floor. :x

So, the kit came with 100g of priming sugar which I assume is the right amount for a 23 litre brew. I obviously need to adjust the amount of priming sugar in relation to the amount of brew I've lost. In simple terms 100g/23l = roughly 4.35g per litre. So for the 20 litres I have left I'll need about 87g of sugar.

Does this sound about right? It's going in glass bottles so I don't want to over prime.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom

Hi Budgie,

Hope you caught the Bread Van this week (sorry, old fart's weak Heavy Metal joke)

Your priming calculations are spot on, as far as they go.

The main thing to worry about is not so much the priming sugar, but the gravity of the beer you are bottling. Newbies are always keen to get on with it, and following the kit instructions on timings is not always a good idea.

So - the questions to answer are:

Do you have a hydrometer? If so, a stable reading over 3 days is a sign you can bottle.

If not, then how long has it been fermenting and do you know the temperatures it might have been fermenting at?

Thanks guys.

Slid, I've had many an old farts heavy metal joke my way before now!

I do have a hydrometer. In fact, I bought a new one today. My coopers kit one was reading all sorts of **** so I bought a glass one today.

It's been fermenting at 20°C for 13 days and it read 1008 today. I'll check again over the next couple of days before bottling though.

Thanks again for the advice. It's all a learning curve :)

Latest posts

Back