Muntons Handcrafted American IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonnal

Brewster
Reaction score
Has anyone done this kit yet? Can't find it in the reviews. I've just bought one after a wee taste at my LHBS. It was lovely with a real fresh hoppy citra taste which wasn't too overpowering. Sold me on it anyway. Will let you know how I get on.
Wasn't intending on buying anything except a 15L FV for my next batch of AG! I am wondering if the homebrew habit is getting a bit out of hand but when I asked my other half he just laughed and said "I think it's already GOT out of hand". Good job he likes his beer too.:whistle:

All finished and sitting happily in FV. Pics attached. The last one is the glass of Evil Dog that has been in bottle for a week. Just checking on carbonation you understand.:whistle:
SG was 1049 (temp adjusted). Straightforward 2 can kit, only have to add the pack of Citra hops a couple of days before bottling.

Muntons HC American IPA Pack.jpg

Muntons HC American IPA SG.jpg

Muntons HC American IPA Yeast.jpg

Evil Dog at 1 week.jpg

All finished and sitting happily in FV. Pics attached. The last one is the glass of Evil Dog that has been in bottle for a week. Just checking on carbonation you understand.:whistle:
SG was 1049 (temp adjusted). Straightforward 2 can kit, only have to add the pack of Citra hops a couple of days before bottling.

looks delicious nom! nom! nom!

Update:
Took a gravity reading after putting the hops in on day 9-1020. Took it again 2 days later and the dreaded Muntons stuck at 1020 syndrome had struck, so I gave it a careful stir and pitched half a pack of Muntons Gold Premium yeast (3g ish) that I had left over in the fridge to get it going again. It seems to have done the trick as today, day 15, the gravity is down to 1010. The kit instructions say it should get down to below 1014. Taste from the sample jar is delicious, mouthful of grapefruit. Very pleased so far.

I'm going to leave it for another week in the FV before bottling.

Im drinking this right now, two weeks in the bottle and still cloudy but hey ho.
Decent pint,nice and hoppy but not as hoppy as Youngs IPA.
I would brew this again but not for a.while as there are so many rival kits to try,mainly Festival ones.

Im drinking this right now, two weeks in the bottle and still cloudy but hey ho.
Decent pint,nice and hoppy but not as hoppy as Youngs IPA.
I would brew this again but not for a.while as there are so many rival kits to try,mainly Festival ones.

How long was yours in the FV?

Update:
Took a gravity reading after putting the hops in on day 9-1020. Took it again 2 days later and the dreaded Muntons stuck at 1020 syndrome had struck, so I gave it a careful stir and pitched half a pack of Muntons Gold Premium yeast (3g ish) that I had left over in the fridge to get it going again. It seems to have done the trick as today, day 15, the gravity is down to 1010. The kit instructions say it should get down to below 1014. Taste from the sample jar is delicious, mouthful of grapefruit. Very pleased so far.

I'm going to leave it for another week in the FV before bottling.

Dry hoping for more than 7 days is risky I think, I'm sure I've read about a grassy flavour being produced if you leave the hops in too long.

Edit: just had a quick check in a book and leaving too long can lead to an dry old tea taste but it recommends putting them in for a couple of weeks so you should be fine.

Dry hoping for more than 7 days is risky I think, I'm sure I've read about a grassy flavour being produced if you leave the hops in too long.

Edit: just had a quick check in a book and leaving too long can lead to an dry old tea taste but it recommends putting them in for a couple of weeks so you should be fine.

I've read similar. I always put dry hops in a bag, firstly so I don't have too much rubbish to clog up the syphon, but also so I can fish them out again after a few days. I took the hop bag out yesterday so it should be fine.

Gravity steady at 1010 so will be bottling this weekend. That's 3 weeks in the FV. ABV will be around 5.4% if you take priming into account.

If I was going to cold crash this over the next few days what temperature is ideal? My garage stays at a steady 12C most of the time. Would this be low enough?

Bottled after batch priming with 90g of dextrose in bottling bucket. It finished on about 5.6% if you take priming sugar into account. Got 43 x 500ml bottles. Pretty cloudy and very strong citra smell and taste. Not sure I'm too keen at present but it may mellow over time. This was the first time I've bottled using the bottle drainer tree thing and the bottle rinser. Hugely impressed with both. It made the job so much easier.

I have around ten of these left and it is a very nice pint, a little like Festival Summer Ale IMO
Hops have mellowed pretty quickly and to be fair I preffered it young when the hops were more prominent but I think this happens to all dry hopped kits.
Overall it's very good,nice mouthfeel and hoppy aftertaste.

Good to hear. I prefer my festival summer ale at present but that's only been in the PB for a week. I'll reserve judgement until they've both had a month or so conditioning.:drink:

This definitely mellows through time,nowhere near as hoppy as Youngs IPA but in a.strange way its.very good.
I may have been.a.little hasty dismissing this,its a grower.
Not every beer has to be a hop bomb and.blow you away.
Cheers

This definitely mellows through time,nowhere near as hoppy as Youngs IPA but in a.strange way its.very good.
I may have been.a.little hasty dismissing this,its a grower.
Not every beer has to be a hop bomb and.blow you away.
Cheers

Hope your right about it mellowing. I had a bottle last night to check for carbonation after 2 weeks in the warm. It hasn't quite cleared fully yet but it's not far off. Carbonation level was also good but it's so hoppy it's almost undrinkable. It reeks of citra hops and is really sharp tasting (not off flavours though). I'm hoping another 4 weeks in the bottle will calm it down a bit. If you like "in your face" American hops though you would probably love this kit.

I have to say that after brewing several American styles I've come to the conclusion that I much prefer the traditional British Ales and I think that's what I'm going to stick to in future.

I too have brewed this and think it's great. Took 2 to 3 weeks to clear.

My first pale ale was Coopers, followed by this, any others worth considering?

Hello everyone.

Ive just got this kit to brew for xmas. Its been a while since I have done a brew and I've forgotten how much priming sugar to use. Its either half a tea spoon per pint or a full one.

Could any of you give me some advice on what you used and how it went. Im going to be putting it into a pressurised keg when the first fermentation is over.

Thanks
Tom

Back