10 Litre AG Recipes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarrowBrewer

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm hoping to do a 10 litre batch later today, having tried three successful 5 litre brews thanks to Clibit's excellent guide (here) I'm going to mash with 10 litres in my well blanketed stovetop pot, and dunk sparge the grain bag with another six litres, which I'm hoping will net me 13-14 litres pre-boil.

I've got a good selection of grains at the moment (crushed wheat, chocolate, crystal, roasted barley and dark malt along with the maris otter) and cascade, fuggles, challenger, saaz and target hops. I know I can tweak and experiment with the many recipes online, but I was wondering if anyone had some tried and tested 10 litre recipes I could use? Many thanks if so!

I would split the water more evenly between mash and sparge. People who use a mashtun use 2.5 - 3 litres of water per kg of grain in the mash, and then sparge with the rest. The mash converts the sugars, so doesn't need lots of water, just the right temp, the sparge then uses a bigger volume of hotter water to remove the sugars.

I have never used Target or Saaz, and I haven't used Fuggles for a while. I've done good things with Challenger and with cascade though. They are both very good for single hop beers. Challenger and Fuggles are a suitable combo.

You have the grains to make pales, mild, brown ale, porter, stout and others. Maybe select a style or two you fancy and I could find a recipe or two.

Thats very helpful, thanks Clibit. I've considered a mash tun, but I was so impressed by the heat retention of a well wrapped stockpot that I'm hoping to get by without one for this volume of brew. I'd be keen to try some darker ales, a brown or a porter would be a great experiment.

I wasn't suggesting you get a mashtun, just explaining water ratios. I'll dig out a recipe or two.

Boast away, I can handle it. :) Here's a good'un, a brown ale kind of thing. You could double the chocolate of you want it a bit more portery. Maybe a little roast barley, like 40g. But it's great as it is. Not sure what your 'dark malt' is, by the way.

Brown Ale
Batch Size (L): 10.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.049
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.04 %
Bitterness (IBU): 38
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
1.600 kg Maris Otter Malt (76.74%)
0.180 kg Brown Sugar, Light (8.63%)
0.125 kg Wheat Malt (6%)
0.120 kg Crystal 60 (5.76%)
0.060 kg Chocolate (2.88%)

Hop Bill
----------------
10.0 g Challenger Leaf (8.9% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes
6.0 g Cascade Leaf (9.2% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes
12.0 g Challenger Leaf (9.3% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes
12.0 g Cascade Leaf (9.2% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (80C steep)
3g Irish Moss @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Mash at 67°C for 60 Minutes.
Ferment at 20°C with Ale yeast (You choose - US05, S04, Nottingham, Mauribrew ale etc. Or get a nice liquid yeast if you want to lift it to even greater heights).

Thats fantastic, many thanks, I'll try and get it on this evening. My "dark malt" is Black Malt, to be a bit more specific.

I've done a couple of 10L AG brews now, thanks to that thread, and am planning a few more.

There are so many full-volume recipes out there, just type them into brewmate (free software) and after doing so, adjust the volume to 10L and it'll re-calc the rest of the ingredients. And if you buy Graham Wheelers book, there's 100 AG recipes in there, including Hook Norton Old Hookey, which you can make with your ingredients.

@clibit

Whats your reasoning behind using brown sugar for the receipe rather than more M/O? Slight molasses flavour you'd get from the brown sugar?

I followed a couple of the receipes from GWs book which had sugar in the receipe. I found the sugar dried the beer out a lot (especially as I used notty). If I do any of the receipes again that required sugar I'd rather add more grain unless it was a big beer and the sugar is used to up the ABV% such as the Old Tom receipe.

I'm also inclined to think sugar may have caused a slight twang to the beer (which eventually went away with conditioning) similar to a kit

The recipe it is very loosely based on, cos it's evolved in my house, and I've also adapted it for ingredients available, is Orkney Dark Island. That recipe has brown sugar. I've made this beer with this grain bill and it's really good. The chosen yeast and the mash temp will influence the degree of dryness too. I quite often put sugar in my brews, mainly when I want them a bit lighter bodied, but also when I am using a recipe or adapting one.

I do. Maybe up the chocolate cos it's not as dark as the pint of the real thing I once had. But the pint I had on cask was pretty ordinary, this recipe was much better, if different! It's a tweak of a recipe I got online somewhere.

Batch Size (L): 23.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.049
Final Gravity (FG): 1.009
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.25 %
Bitterness (IBU): 27.5
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

3.800 kg Maris Otter Malt (82.41%)
0.270 kg Brown Sugar, Light (5.86%)
0.180 kg Wheat Malt (3.9%)
0.180 kg Chocolate (3.9%)
0.180 kg Crystal 80 (3.9%)

20.0 g First Gold Leaf (8.3% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (
15.0 g East Kent Golding Leaf (6.5% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes
15.0 g East Kent Golding Leaf (6.5% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes
15.0 g First Gold Leaf (8.3% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes
5.0 g Irish Moss @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Mash at 67°C for 60 Minutes.
Ferment with Mauribrew Ale 514/US-05

I've got your 10 litre recipe on the go Clibit, ended up with just under 8 litres but topped up to 10 with an OG of 1048 so I'm pleased with that. Pitched with Nottingham Danstar and tucked away to do it's stuff. Many thanks for the help!

Bottled this today, it had been at 1018 for four days so I don't think I was going to get it any lower. Tasting lovely so far!

Back