Citra hop pellets for Cerveza kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerRS

Reaction score
Hi all,

I haven't posted a while and I know that everyone loves to bash mexican cerveza but....

I made a batch of Cooper's Mexican Cerveza using their brew enhancer 2 and nothing else and in time it produced a very drinkable lager (-type drink).

The only thing it was lacking was a bit of aroma so to remedy this I've ordered the same kit but also some citra hop pellets.

I'm wondering what amount of pellets to put in and would it be best to put it in the primary after it calms down? If so, how long for before bottling?

Cheers!

I've read a lot about this because I wanted the same.
Was tempted to do the lime zest method but had mixed reports

Hi all,

I haven't posted a while and I know that everyone loves to bash mexican cerveza but....

I made a batch of Cooper's Mexican Cerveza using their brew enhancer 2 and nothing else and in time it produced a very drinkable lager (-type drink).

The only thing it was lacking was a bit of aroma so to remedy this I've ordered the same kit but also some citra hop pellets.

I'm wondering what amount of pellets to put in and would it be best to put it in the primary after it calms down? If so, how long for before bottling?

Cheers!

Nothing wrong with a Cerveza, for me! I think it's better with some more malt in it, so the brew enhancer sounds good.

Citra is quite noticable in a beer, so maybe 25g or so 5 days before bottling. You can just throw them in, basically.

If it were me, I would boil them in a pan for 5 mins, cool down by putting the pan in the sink with cold water in it and add the lot when it cools down.

Wouldn't boiling them kill the aroma? If boiling is a sanitation step, I read somewhere earlier that because they are antibacterial in nature, hops can just be added straight into FV. Would people agree?

Wouldn't boiling them kill the aroma? If boiling is a sanitation step, I read somewhere earlier that because they are antibacterial in nature, hops can just be added straight into FV. Would people agree?

There is absolutely no problem in adding the hop pellets staight from the packet and it will make for an improved beer.

Sorry if I steered you off course, it's just a different approach, that's all.

There is a really weak taste in the kit as it is and I want it to have a good aroma hop profile but I also want non-homebrewing friends to drink it as easily as they did before...

I've ordered 100g of pellets, how much should I use? 25g?

Is it ok to put it in for a week and then rack onto sugar for bottling? Will I have any trouble with hop powder being in suspension? I've NEVER hopped before.

Hop Pellets will drop out with no issues. If any significant amount were to transfer into your bottling FV containing the priming sugar, then you don't have to bottle immediately.

Doubt that will happen, but it's only waiting another few days at the very worst.

There is a really weak taste in the kit as it is and I want it to have a good aroma hop profile but I also want non-homebrewing friends to drink it as easily as they did before...

I've ordered 100g of pellets, how much should I use? 25g?

Is it ok to put it in for a week and then rack onto sugar for bottling? Will I have any trouble with hop powder being in suspension? I've NEVER hopped before.

As well as dry hopping, I made a hop tea for the first time yesterday. I just dissolved my priming sugar in some boiling water, then put the hops in a sterilised muslin bag and let it sit for 30 mins (gave it a couple of stirs). Then into the bottling bucket and racked on top.

I just put mine on y day with the juice and zest of 3 limes.

They went into the FV then had boiled water on for sterilisation. Smells nice and limey

Latest posts

Back