Buying small hop quanities

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHW

Landlord.
Reaction score
Evening all

Anyone know of anywhere you can buy a good range of hops in less than 100g packs? In particular overseas varieties, as I've found a few places for uk varieties.

Cost not too important though I don't want to be ripped off!

Reason is that I'm only going to brew 10-15L AG brews now, and as I want to try a range of hops, I'll never get through a 100g pack. I know they can be frozen but the good lady won't be happy if the freezer is overrun with half full silver bags. It's already got 3 in there and they're crowding out the chicken thighs.

Ta

Just a thought - approach a supplier and ask the same question? I've looked at quite a few and 100g seems to be minimum for leaf, but geterbrewed does 50g pellets.

good point manse. brewuk do their recipe packs with the amount of hops you need (for extarct haven't checked for AG). So they may well buy in bulk then vac pack them into 100g themselves. Perhaps they'll do smaller quants on request. Will email them and find out...
That Greg fella owes me a favour!

perhaps a budget vacuum packer might be a worthwhile investment allowing you to repack your hops after use for longer term storage, sealing all up in one larger bag for stashing would probably take up less room in the freezer and the donation to the kitchen equipment may earn you a brownie point or two and a bit more leway for space in the freezer too. i think you can pick up a basic packer for circa £30...

Also if you consider buying ag kits with the hops weighed out for the kit, and split into 2 you can brew 2 10+l batches from the one kit and cut down on the hops in the freezer, the worcester hop shop have quite a good range of ag kits at a reasonable price, and i think i read somewhere that they are open to making kits up to your specs (but check with em on that .. might be internet rumour)
the 2 ag kits i have had from them both turned out well...

Yeah I think getting in touch with a few suppliers is the way forward. Good thinking all. Not sure when I'll get round to it but will report back on how I get on. Might try malt miller as the chap there was really helpful about my biab kit enquiry.

I see you are in New Malden, is that New Malden, Royal Borough of Kingston? If so make your way to Brixon, you buy whaterver amounts you like at London Beer Lab

Maybe I'll set up a business packaging and selling small hop quantities! Could do with a change.....

You want Citra and Green Bullet yes?

If you use WHS and you get some more think about Cascade - Chinook - Cluster - Summit - First Gold - Aurora - Challenger.

Back