How Do You Split Brews

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian808

Regular.
Reaction score
As title says how do you split a brew into two batches for experimenting with temps or hops. Would you split into two FV and add half yeast to each or add yeast and then split. Hope this question makes sense

Depends.. helpful eh?

If mashing the grain for your wort you can split before the boil so you can experiment with different hop additions during the boil,

Or you can split after the boil into 2 fermentors to add different yeasts and or different dry hop additions.

there is no hard and fast rules though its your experiment you decide what you want to test and find out.

what do you have in mind for testing out?

I have a youngs saison kit and trying it at different temperatures. I mixed kit and added yeast then poured some into other FV. I was just wondering what others would have done as i haven't halfed the batch i didn't want to split the yeast into each FV. Don't know what I'm going to do with the hops though

Mix the kit with water (and any additional fermentables) in an FV to 23 litres or whatever total quantity you want to make. Put half the wort into another FV. Add yeast, half to each. Dry hop each when you have reached final gravity. Bottle about 5 days later.

I didn't half the brew. I only put 5 litres in another FV to see the difference the temperature makes as they say it's better brewed at warmer temp. Kit comes with hop pellets so i think I'll open them up and put some in muslin bags for each FV

Saison wants to be brewed warm yes. Why not use different hops in the two FVs?

Yeah that's an idea. Just hope that it tastes similar to the saison I'm drinking at the moment that i got from tesco

Revisionist belgian saison. Its brewed by marstons for tesco they also have a lager and a steam beer but not tried them. The saison is a cracking drink and £1:25 a bottle it ain't a bad price

I didn't make it. Bought a few bottles of the shelf for a change of beer. The one I'm making is Youngs New World Saison. I have about 18 litres in FV with heater on and temp is around 28C the other 5 L is sitting just over 20C. Plan is to see the difference for when the weather heats up I can brew a few of these without adding heat (hopefully). Last summer I struggled to get low enough temp for my beer and didn't brew as much hoping this is the answer to my problem.

Let us know how it goes. I've Got a packet of Belle Saison in the fridge

Latest posts

Back